NEED HELP! carb issues?

DirtyII

Nov 15, 2010
Ok, was wondering if anyone on here has any answers or could maybe help me out. car is 78 mustang just rebuilt at the begining of this spring the block is out of an 89, car has a small cam (e-cam) fresh set of ported E7's with some long tube headers with the stock intake manifold and a Holley 600cfm carb part #80457-7 the car sat forever before i got it and didnt run what so ever. when i first got it going before the rebuild the car smoked some but didnt think anything of it cuz i knew i was tearing it all apart. but now after the build it seems as if i'm having some fuel issues, the ****er loves fuel. car smokes black whenever you crack the throttle and when driving will sputter a little then take off while pouring smoke out the back but cleans up just a little when secondaries are kicking in. know 100% the car is not burning oil that its running rich but cant figure out why. just got a rebuild kit for the carb replaced all the gaskets in it, power valve and accelerator pump only thing i didnt mess with was the floats there are no adjustments on this carb i guess you have to do it internally i was told if you take the bowl off hold it upside down the float should be level which they are so dont think thats my issue. the primarys were jetted with the stock 64's so i thought maybe a drop to a 61 would help but nope same **** still runs rich as hell. compltely cleaned the carb every little nook, ****er shines now its so clean. could there be something elese other than the carb causing the issue? any info would help cuz i'm about to just pour gas on the thing and burn it to the ground. thanks

• Sponsors (?)

The rebuild kit should have come with a float gauge to set the fuel bowl level. You set it by bending the tab on the float untill the float height in the bowl matches the gauge. Something quick you could try but be carefull if it's prone to backfires thru the carb. With the engine running at about 1500/2000rpm look down the primaries and see if there is solid drops of fuel falling out of the venturies. If so either the fuel level is too high or the needle valve is stuck open. That might explain why a change of jet didn't help. Hope this helps. Mike

stuck workin all weekend but i'll give it a look tuesday an see. dont backfire through carb so i should be ok with not burning my face off. thanks for the help i'll give it a shot