Need Help Fast! Only Have Three Days!

RIXX93GT

Founding Member
Oct 10, 2002
Dayton, Ohio
My block is going to the machine shop Tuesday for a 347 stroke job and I need to know something. I bought a main support girdle and it looks as if the main caps will have to be machined down on top about 3/16" to clear. Is this how its done? I can do it at work and save some cash at the machine shop, I read that you should have the girdle bolted on when they do the main align bore. Please if you know then pass it on. Also what kind of pans are people havin to use with these supports? Thanks all!

• Sponsors (?)

My girdle(fromCHP) required no machining to install and clears the stock oil pan.
Just curious, why are you having your block aligned bored? Unless you're are replacing the main caps, an align hone is all that should be neccessary.

If I were you I would contact who ever sold you the girdle for install info.

I should have said align hone not bore , my mistake. I bought the girdle online. I guess if your girdle was not completely flat and had steps in it it would fit over but this one is simply flat. The main cap bolt areas are not as tall as the center of the cap radius so if you have a flat girdle something has to be machined as far as I can see.

Thanks for the replies , I just went and opened up the package that had the studs in it and included were the standoff washers that allow it to clear the caps, I think I will still take .010-.015 off the tops just to be sure because it seems as if it will barely contact the top of the cap. Once again thanks and before I post next time I will look through all the packages. I just figured it would be smarter to build this step into the girdle itself.

Adding the standoffs would more than double the price of the girdle(have to start with a thicker piece of steel) because of the machine work required. those washers probably cost less than .10 to make. Its always a money thing. Good Luck