Need help identifying rear end

TexasFireman

15 Year Member
Jun 12, 2008
Beaumont Tx
When I bought my coupe, the guy selling it to me told me he had taken it in because the rear end was making some noise. He said the shop went through it and put all new bearings and seals, all the way through (about $600 worth). He said that when the guy at the shop opened up, he showed him the rear end and said "thats an expensive racing unit". Pretty technical I know lol. Anyway, the seller couldn't remember what the shop told him he had. So when I got it home I jacked it up, marked the bottom of the wheel and the pinion. It just a touch over 4 turns of the pinion for the tire to make a complete rotation. So I assume its 4.10 gears, and it feels like it.

So today, I pulled the cover on the rear end to see what was in there. I didn't see any brand markings, so I thought I would see if anyone could identify it from pictures. Kinda crappy pics, but maybe someone can tell.

59a40752.jpg

49792f66.jpg

9a2a9ff0.jpg

IMG_1562.jpg

IMG_1559.jpg

Its definitely a Ford gear set. From what I can find, the "10" and "41" stamped on there should indicate 10 teeth on the pinion and 41 teeth on the ring gear. So between that, and also turning and counting, that should indicate 4.10 gears. I'm really wanting to know for sure what carrier that is. I'm probably going to go ahead and take it in and have 3.73's put in, I guess he can tell me for sure what I have.

• Sponsors (?)

If you counted 41 and 10, divide the larger by the smaller, and you get 4.10:1...the diff looks like an Auburn to me. I had one in my 7.5" before I finally upgraded to an 8.8" and it took some abuse.