Need help - installed new door speakers, and they are acting up~

Sinister SN95

Jun 3, 2002
Just recently put in 2 Pioneer 240W 4 way 6X8 speakers in the doors... they worked awesome for a week...

now when i put the volume up about halfway, after a couple minutes they basically turn off... both of them at the exact same time. then they'll pop back on, and pop back off. i thought maybe they were loose, but have no clue how BOTH can turn off and turn on like that in unison.

Anyone have any clue why they would be doing this? I've never had a problem like this before, but i've also never had the Mach 460 stereo either...

is it just the stereo system not accepting the speakers? are they too high of wattage for the system??

i'm totally lost and was hoping for some ideas before i took the damn doors off again thanks~~~

• Sponsors (?)

iskwezm said:
its probably the amp(s) going into a protection mode.The speakers have different resistance then the factory stock ones.I have freinds that replaced them withought problems though.

is there anything that i can do to make them not go into "protection" mode?

i'm not really big into audio, just got these as a gift for my birthday heh

iskwezm said:
are you sure their wired right? :shrug: Maybe somebody else that replaced them knows a little more.
thanks for the replies......

i'm pretty damn sure they are wired perfectly, i did the install with one of my buddies who did them on his GT with no problems either... i dunno whats going on :(

gonna rip the doors off again this weekend, just wondering if anyone knows what else i can look for that could possibly be wrong...

iskwezm said:
can you swap your amp with one of his?

he actually has some aftermarket ones in his car now, doubt he'd let me borrow those and rip apart his setup ;) and unfortunately he sold his stock 460 amps...

would i be better off going back to my stock ones and scrapping this idea? i dont wanna overheat my stock amps... :(

Sinister SN95 said:
he actually has some aftermarket ones in his car now, doubt he'd let me borrow those and rip apart his setup ;) and unfortunately he sold his stock 460 amps...

would i be better off going back to my stock ones and scrapping this idea? i dont wanna overheat my stock amps... :(
theres a reason why they are not working,like i said,my friends had no problems.Theres no wires grounding out or anything?

iskwezm said:
theres a reason why they are not working,like i said,my friends had no problems.Theres no wires grounding out or anything?

nah man, they are all wired in correctly... i just ripped it apart last night before i went to bed :(

BigJohnson9859 said:
if they arent hooked up to the amp sometimes they can drain too much power from the deck if it doesnt have the appropriate wattage\ampage

hooked up to the amp? really?

i'd have to wire my door speakers all the way to the stock amp in the trunk? damn... seems like a pain in the ass...

iskwezm said:
its probably the amp(s) going into a protection mode.The speakers have different resistance then the factory stock ones.I have freinds that replaced them withought problems though.

Yeah i have replaced them w/o any problems either but it does sound like your amp is going into protection, there is no way to fool the amp, Are you sure that your speakers are 4 ohm not 2ohm? ive never seen a 2 ohm speaker but it would make some sense b/c most every aftermarket amp is 2ohm stable in stereo, i dunno just a thought?

strokedandblown said:
Yeah i have replaced them w/o any problems either but it does sound like your amp is going into protection, there is no way to fool the amp, Are you sure that your speakers are 4 ohm not 2ohm? ive never seen a 2 ohm speaker but it would make some sense b/c most every aftermarket amp is 2ohm stable in stereo, i dunno just a thought?

here are the exact specs on the speakers:

* 6x8" 4-Way Speakers
* 50 Watts RMS
* 240 Watts Peak
* 30Hz-30kHz Frequency Response
* 4 Ohms

looks like i'm screwed :notnice:

Sinister SN95 said:
here are the exact specs on the speakers:

* 6x8" 4-Way Speakers
* 50 Watts RMS
* 240 Watts Peak
* 30Hz-30kHz Frequency Response
* 4 Ohms

looks like i'm screwed :notnice:
i think your amp took a dump,the wires in the doors are from the amp,so dont worry about re wiring them.Only thing to do is put your stocks back since they are probably a higher resisitance. :(

The stock speakers are 6 ohm and the ones he has are 4 ohm so it seems that the amps are going into protection because too much power is being asked of them. I dont see how people say they have switched to aftermarket without problems, i would expect that somewhere in the volume range the amps would overheat and shutdown. For him it seems that its at half volume. In my opinion i believe that if your going to start messing with aftermarket stuff you might as well replace everything. Aftermarket hu, amps and speakers, forget about the mach460. Im saving up so that i buy all the equipment at the same time and get rid of the mach 460.

iskwezm said:
I think when they wire in the tweeters,it drops it to 4 ohms since they run them in parallel i think. :shrug:

if the tweeters were also 6ohms and wired in parallel w/ the door speakers, that would result in a 3 ohm load. try adding some resistors onto your speaker wire. start with around .5ohm and if they still blow, add more until they dont blow.

Scorcher2005 said:
if the tweeters were also 6ohms and wired in parallel w/ the door speakers, that would result in a 3 ohm load. try adding some resistors onto your speaker wire. start with around .5ohm and if they still blow, add more until they dont blow.
i dont think the tweeters are 6ohms, and adding resistors wouldnt help if their already at 4 ohms and the amp is shutting off and the stock are at 3 as you guess.I just think its too late for the amp :shrug: