Need help on a GOOD Tuner

kosmos

Dec 15, 2008
all my mods are listed in my SIG, I know nothing about tuners or chips or what I need to buy, Im never gonna put nitrous or supercharger on my car so its just bolt ons but I never tuned the car to the mods so im not getting the performance I should im assumming. I dont have a dyno nearby so what are my options.. Im gonna buy something friday $400 dollar range will get me a TUNER but I dont know which one or what I need to do,

I saw chips on the net and tuners, DO i need both or just use the tuner with my stock computer?

also what does the different octane settings do? like if i had it set on 93 octane and went to the gas station and put 87 octane would my motor blow? I need some help with this I know nothing about tuners

looking at buying this or do you guys recommend something else
http://www.americanmuscle.com/sct-sf3-tuner.html

• Sponsors (?)

ok so I'd need to use the 91 octane tune so I can still run 87 octane in my car when I want but for $379 I dont know if 20 hp at the most is really worth the price ya know

the main thing im scared about is to really get money's worth I need to use the 93 octane tune, but lets say I wasnt paying attention or my wife was driving the car and she put 87 octane in the car, than what? thats what im scared about

If you run the 93 tune then it ramps the timing up. If you happen to put 87 in by mistake then you will have detonation at WOT. Normal driving wont hurt it though. You can change the tune with the handheld tuner to 87 if that mistake happens. If you have intake and exhaust mods then the car really needs to be tuned to adjust for thoes mods. With the stock tune the computer will change its settings so that the airflow will meet stock specs so really you see no power gains from the mods you do have untill the computer is adjusted.

Its more then just peak hp though. Its about getting gains down low and in the midrange that make the car nicer to drive and more responsive. With a tune being the only mod on my Mark VIII it was a notecable improvment in power and application. The car would never bark its tires in second and would get traction quickly in first. Now first gear is useless @ WOT and the car just responds much better :nice:

brenspeed i was just reading about, you order the SCT tuner and they email you so you can tell them all the mods you have on your car so they custom tune it before they ship it to you so I guess thats the best way to do it since I dont have dyno use.

So if I put 87 octane in my car by mistake with 93 octane tune, all i gotta do is drive it normally back to the house and reprogram it to 87 octane? dont wide open throttle it to keep from hurtin anything?

also I have 4.10 gear, bbk o/r x pipe, magnaflow magnapack catback, mac cai, 75mm throttle body, dragon intake plenum what gains would I see do you estimate:nice:

So if I put 87 octane in my car by mistake with 93 octane tune, all i gotta do is drive it normally back to the house and reprogram it to 87 octane? dont wide open throttle it to keep from hurtin anything?
Yes. :nice: You will be just fine if you do this.

You can drive it, just don't go WOT. If you do, then you might hear the motor ping. (ie. detonation) Not as bad on a N/A car, REALLY BAD on a power adder car!

ok thanks, so basically it wont blow the motor up but it will cause pinging like when you put wated gas in your car?

also what about HP gains here folks

Do you have ADHD?

If you go WOT then you could potentially blow your motor up with the lower octane rating. As far as HP goes, the Cobras see 40+ hp with a tune. A NA GT on the other hand may see anywhere between 12-31 hp increase. :shrug:

Just make sure you put the right fuel in it. If its tuned to run on one grade, don't put anything else in it. You'll see pretty decent gains, but you really should get LT's too. But if i were you i would get the Sniper Special Forces:nice:

I just wonder if I will feel a difference with my bolt ons tuned, I mean Im sure it will help but $379 dollars worth? brenspeed said they'd costume tune it to my bolt ons i list so makes me wonder

If you end up putting 93 in the tank when the car is tuned for 91 it wont do anything harmfull to your car. As others have said doing the reverse will cause pinging and potentially hurt your engine.

With your mods you will feel a difference, even with a 87 octain tune. I suggest you get a sniper special forces kit (now delta force tuning). You can tune 2 cars with the same kit. It will allow you to tune the car for the mods you have like your x pipe.

Ok thanks, I think im gonna get the brenspeed custom tuned SCT and run the 87 octane, is their big difference between 87 vs. 93 octane tune or is it marginal?

AND PEOPLE QUIT FLAMING ME IN OLD THREADS IM TRYING TO BE SERIOUS AND ASK LEGITIMATE QUESTIONS......:lol:

If you end up putting 93 in the tank when the car is tuned for 91 it wont do anything harmfull to your car. As others have said doing the reverse will cause pinging and potentially hurt your engine.

Im running 93.. but without a tune at the moment.
Every once in a while, im out when the only gas stations in town that have 93 are closed. So I have to get 91.
If i tune for 93, im screwed if this happens...
So tune for 91?
Is there a multi stage tune... say, for 91 AND 93?