Need Help On My 98 Gt 4.6l

Don. G

Nov 25, 2014
What's up my fellow stang-bangers. I need help with my Gt 4.6l. Ok I just got done replacing the head gasket on the right bank cause it was obviously blown, I could only afford to do that bank for now due to my living location and the lack of a garage to do it in. So i complete the pain in the a** job, it fired up nicely but when I took it for a test drive it just seemed like it should have the balls like it should. And I'm noticing the left exhaust is blowing less than the right bank. Do y'all think maybe I need to replace the left head gasket as well? It was vise versa before I changed the right bank. (Right less exhaust than the left). I am gonna run a compression test today. I have more to add but I'll run these tests first. Let me know what you stangers

• Sponsors (?)

Don,
The only thing that I can think of is cam timing. The modular engines are a PITA with the front chains and making sure everything goes back together just right. A compression test will definately show if you are a tooth off on the timing. The performance manuals say that you should dial in the timing to where both banks are producing as close to the same compression as possible.

Aftermarket adjusters are available and make things a lot easier to dial in. MMFF magazine had an article a few years ago on this and found that cars right out of the box could benefit from the after market timing adjusters. Their article found a whopping 40 hp on a factory fresh cobra, just by dialing in the cam timing! The correct way to get the timing just right is to pull the engine and use a degree wheel, but that is a major pain and the compression method should work just fine.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the feedback caffeine Gt. I'm gonna definitely check it out. So I'm about to run the compression test here in a few minutes. What is the ideal PSI on the cylinders & what is the cam timing called (Degree wheel?)