NEED HELP. please advise

DerekStangGT

My package is in the mail!
Feb 18, 2003
so i just mounted and balanced my new BFG G Force Sport tires two days ago. they all balanced fine except i had trouble with one. it needed about 170 grams total around the inner edge. at first im thinking "WTF" but after i put all the weights on, it balanced out fine. ok, so i bolt the wheels/tires back on, with the troublesome wheel on the back right. now on the road, i have a slight vibration in the wheel around 55mph. so i think, "ok, just gotta re-balance the tires". but every time i drive the car, it acts different. every now and then it will vibrate. it's not a shimmy or shake in the wheel or seat, the whole car just kinda vibrates. then last night i took it up to 75-80 mph and the whole car started to shake VIOLENTLY. i could see the door panels shaking, everything was going crazy. so i cut it down. strange thing is, i took the car back up tp 80 this morning and got no shaking at all. didnt even get any shimmy at ~55. just a slight vibration at higher speeds that could have been road imperfections. so when i get to work i went to the back and kicked the top of the rear tires back and forth and they made a loud sqeaking along with a faint tinny clanking. possible wheel bearing?? what do you think could be causing this?

BTW: all my wheels are torqued down, no loose lug nuts

• Sponsors (?)

Either your alignment is off or check your tires for a white line going all the way around. i had this problem a while back and i got a white line all the way around one of my wheels and when i got it all fixed they said that it could have blown out on me at any time and i was lucky it didnt. i'm not exactly sure what to do about fixing it. take it to a local shop and ask, but just wanted to let you know about checking it so that it doesnt blow out on you and then a lot of bad after that.

my95gtstang said:
Either your alignment is off or check your tires for a white line going all the way around. i had this problem a while back and i got a white line all the way around one of my wheels and when i got it all fixed they said that it could have blown out on me at any time and i was lucky it didnt. i'm not exactly sure what to do about fixing it. take it to a local shop and ask, but just wanted to let you know about checking it so that it doesnt blow out on you and then a lot of bad after that.
i know its not the alignment. it just happened, and the car doesnt pull/drift. a white line around the tire? WTH?!? 1) these are brand new tires 2)what are you talking about with this white line? do you have any idea what youre talking about? not to sound rude
and i do my own repairs.

yes, it was on my brand new tires. i believe its where the tire wears down really fast and gets to the inner lining of the tire and pressure could make it pop. this is what the shop i took my car to told me. i was just trying to give you some helpful advice. but hey, criticize if you want. just letting you know. hope you fix your problem. have a good one.

It's almost gotta be an alignment issue or balance is off. 170g ... OMG :eek:

Another thing that will cause shaking is if the tire pressure is effed up. Check that too if you haven't.

GodAmGT00 said:
What about a warped rim, or the fact it might have thrown one of the many weights you had on the rim off??
JT
i was thinking that too.
i dont think it could be a warped wheel though b/c it just started after i put on the new tires. i was thinking maybe one or two tires are out of round :shrug:
GodAmGT00 said:
Also, did you remember to re-torque your lugs after you put the car back on the ground??
i take wheels off cars everyday and never re-torque while on the ground

I have found it to be the case that often it takes tire shops TWO tries to get wheels balanced.

Have them balance again, tell them it is not right. Vibration at 55 is a sure sign of wheel balance.

Your rotors could be out of balance, wheel torque improper, or other front suspension problems could cause it.

But since it will be customer satisfaction work and free, take it back and nicely ask them to double check it cause it "ain't right"

Kilgore Trout said:
I have found it to be the case that often it takes tire shops TWO tries to get wheels balanced.

Have them balance again, tell them it is not right. Vibration at 55 is a sure sign of wheel balance.

Your rotors could be out of balance, wheel torque improper, or other front suspension problems could cause it.

But since it will be customer satisfaction work and free, take it back and nicely ask them to double check it cause it "ain't right"
youre right. I'm gonna go back to the shop that balanced my tires and have a one on one chat with that damn technician. he must be some sort of idiot. what kind of retard cant balance a tire right the first time? moron

DerekStangGT said:
i take wheels off cars everyday...

DerekStangGT said:
and i do my own repairs.

oh wait....
:nonono: :D

DerekStangGT said:
youre right. I'm gonna go back to the shop that balanced my tires and have a one on one chat with that damn technician. he must be some sort of idiot. what kind of retard cant balance a tire right the first time? moron
I have had to get my tires re-balanced surprisingly often :notnice: WTF is up with that?

Kilgore Trout said:
I have had to get my tires re-balanced surprisingly often :notnice: WTF is up with that?
at Acura we re-balance tires every 7500 miles. cars take a beating on the road today, especially by drivers who are too stupid to avoid potholes, curbs, and other easily avoidable road hazards. plus, tires rarely wear evenly all around. any panic stop almost garuntees(sp) your tires will need re-balancing.

I have had this happen with new tires on several vehicles but mainly on the trucks I have had. Especially with the Goodyear wrangler m/t's I use to run on my f250....Discount tire knew me way too well...I would pull in and they would have 6 (yes 6) brand new ones waiting everytime I came in for a rotation because it meant a new set of tires and it took 6 to get 4 good ones. And the only way they could get them to ride and wear right was to "force" balance them and it would tell them where to put the tire on the rim. Anyway, the moral is to do a force balance and see if that solves it. That much weight on a car tire is bad. even my 35" Pro Comp Xterrains didnt use that much....but close :)

bgrd351 said:
I have had this happen with new tires on several vehicles but mainly on the trucks I have had. Especially with the Goodyear wrangler m/t's I use to run on my f250....Discount tire knew me way too well...I would pull in and they would have 6 (yes 6) brand new ones waiting everytime I came in for a rotation because it meant a new set of tires and it took 6 to get 4 good ones. And the only way they could get them to ride and wear right was to "force" balance them and it would tell them where to put the tire on the rim. Anyway, the moral is to do a force balance and see if that solves it. That much weight on a car tire is bad. even my 35" Pro Comp Xterrains didnt use that much....but close :)
road force balance them? ok, i didnt even think of that since we never use that feature. i'll try it. funny thing is, the car drove perfect this morning. no shimmy or vibration at all, even up to 75 mph. its very very strange. :shrug:

DerekStangGT said:
i take wheels off cars everyday and never re-torque while on the ground

I've always been taught to re-torque the lugnuts when the car's on the ground, since it re-centers the rim on the studs, and basically places the rim directly on the hub...

Not to say that's write, but I think it's also in the FSM.. 170gm's is ridiculous though..

JT

My chiropractor just bought a new Nissan Altima and with 500 miles on it, it started doing what you're describing. He took it back and told em' to fix the problem. Long story short, they determined that the brand new tires were being "cupped by bad shocks" :shrug:
So they replaced his shocks and all four tires.

Just thought I'd throw it out to ponder......

DTNODYA said:
My chiropractor just bought a new Nissan Altima and with 500 miles on it, it started doing what you're describing. He took it back and told em' to fix the problem. Long story short, they determined that the brand new tires were being "cupped by bad shocks" :shrug:
So they replaced his shocks and all four tires.

Just thought I'd throw it out to ponder......
you know, funny you mention that. it seems my car has gotten very bouncy lately and i was beginning to wonder about my Tokicos. i pushed on the car yesterday while it was parked and it seemed bouncier than i remember it :shrug: maybe thats my problem. only thing is, i dont want to order $500 shocks/struts to "fix" the problem, and then find it was somthing else. it may be time for a new setup anyway