Need help...starting problem

DosStangs

Jun 4, 2007
I have a '67 Mustang vert. with 302 from a '74 Maverick and the original C4 trans.

The last two batteries I've had in the car lasted all of 6 months each. Originally I assumed I had some drain, and took to disconnecting the battery while it sits during the week (I only drive it on weekends). When I finally have time to look at it, I find the alternator wire (single wire alt), while bundled in, wasn't actually connected to the solenoid.

So I figure that my problem, connect it, drop in a new battery. Car fires right up after three weeks of sitting. I have to add a quart of oil and 2 quarts ATF (persisitent leak that I am delaying repair of since I want to swap to an AOD). I drive it around for a half hour with no problems, and go back home.

An hour later I go to take it out again...won't start. Doesn't even turn over. Nothing. All lights work until I turn the key, then everything is dead. I disconnect and reconnect the neg. on the battery, and all lights work again until I turn the key. Then everything is dead again.

So I'm now at a lost. I'm thinking either neutral safety switch or ignition module??

Sorry for the long winded post but I wanted to give enough background for responses.

Thanks for any help provided.

Mike

• Sponsors (?)

battery is new, cables are relatively new. All look clean

just to clarify, after I reconnect the battery, the car still doesn't start, just the lights other components work again until I turn the key, at which point I get nothing and all electronics go dead...

Electrical problems are the pits!

I've had two vehicles that would give me starting problems off and on. Both were the "okay looking" battery cables. :mad: I stumbled on to the problem when I noticed that the cables got very warm to the touch after repeated attempts to start the cars.

On the other hand, my son has an NSX that wouldn't keep a charge after sitting for a couple of weeks each time. Two new batteries didn't cure it so he took it to a specialty shop for NSX's. It turned out to be the new alarm that was installed was pulling power from the trunk light circuit and somehow kept the light on after the trunk was closed. :rlaugh:

Good luck.

Tell me about!

Funny thing is, yesterday I go to install my new solenoid. Before anything, I try to start it, just for laughs and giggles. It started, no problem.

So yeah, looking more like a bad cable or a bad ground somewhere. I'll probably just replace the cables anyway. I've always been concerned about the starter cable. I'd like to run it further away from the headers, but not sure of the best routing.

Try checking continuity from your negative terminal to ground hopefully it reads high resistance and then you can pull out your wire brush and start cleaning grounds. If your neg. terminal is connected to your block somewhere also, check to see if your block is grounded on the back. Something is pulling too much current from your battery take it to your local autozone or advanced and try getting your starter checked also it could be pulling too much current when warm it.