Need help to time distributor!

charlesw6954

Founding Member
May 3, 2002
Mo
I got a new distributor today and i forgot how to time it. like take #1 spark plug out and crank car over till piston is as high as it can go then drop distributor in but i dont know what way to put dizzy in.

oh yea i went to get the distributor and some tools and spent all my money so i have NO money for a timing light.

• Sponsors (?)

By cranking over the engine til the piston is at the top,is a 50/50 chance of being at TDC or 180 degrees out.
remove the valve cover and make sure your #1 intake valve is just closing as the piston is reaching the top.
when the piston reahes the top,and the #1 intake valve is fully closed , you will be at top dead center.
look at a diagram of your firing order for your motor,make sure that the rotor points to the #1 spark plug.you should be able to get it fired up from that point,and make timing adjustments by ear until you can borrow a timing light.
Good Luck!

COBRAIIW said:
look at a diagram of your firing order for your motor,make sure that the rotor points to the #1 spark plug.

That is for the non-HO firing order. For the HO firing order the rotor should be pointing approximately at the driver's seat. There should be a big number " 1 " on a terminal on the distributor cap. At TDC it should point at that terminal with room to rotate the distributor in either direction.

That or just put the new one in the same position as the old came out.

i know i did that but i guess it was 180 out or something and i took it out and cranked it back to #1 piston being at the top and took out distributor and turned it around again and it works perfectly