need help with timing

tex135.0

Oct 17, 2008
the other day i tried ti advance my timing and i didnt hear any change in the sound of the motor did i do ne thing wrong?? i turned the dist. toward the driver side tire ne help would be greatly appreciated

• Sponsors (?)

just by ear i have a lite but i dont know how to use it its an old one my grandpa gave it to me. it has 2 leads that go to the batt. then 2 more leads on it that i dont know where they go

Does one of the leads have a black box on the end of it thats kindof like a clamp? If so it goes on your #1 plug wire.Then when you pull the trigger the light should flash that is telling you when you are getting fire to your #1 cylinder.(you have to unhook your spout connector first though that is the little connector that is a couple inches from where the wiring harness hooks up to the distributor if you dont disconnect it you will have an innaccurate reading.Then aim the light at the timing pointer next to your balancer and you should be able to tell if you are adjusting it or not.You may have to use a piece of chalk or a paint marker to mark the balancer so you can see it you want to put the mark on the 0. Then when the light flashes when your timing is at 0 you will see that mark like it is a solid line and the balancer is not turning at all then adjust from there.

You will need to get a functional timing light. Your old one is probably not an inductive light, and inductive lights are easier to work with, especially with high-output ignitions (like our stock ignitions are).

You will probably not hear a difference in the idle with small changes in timing unless you unplug the SPOUT connector. The idle will increase with an advance in timing and decrease with retardation of timing.