Need nice, powerful SQ/SPL subs!

ChaosStarter

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2002
Metuchen, NJ
Hey guys, I need help on getting some opinions on some nice and powerful 12"SQ subs. They will probably be pushed by a Memphis 1000D amp that'll do about 1100x1 @ 1ohm. All feedback/opinions are welcomed!

So far these are my choices:

Eclipse SW8122DVC (500w RMS)/SW9122 (750w RMS)
Memphis 15-MOJO12 (500w RMS)
Audiobahn AW1206Q (1100w RMS)/ALUM12Q(1000w RMS)

• Sponsors (?)

Interesting question :)

ChaosStarter said:
Hey guys, I need help on getting some opinions on some nice and powerful 12"SQ subs. They will probably be pushed by a Memphis 1000D amp that'll do about 1100x1 @ 1ohm. All feedback/opinions are welcomed!

So far these are my choices:

Eclipse SW8122DVC (500w RMS)/SW9122 (750w RMS)
Memphis 15-MOJO12 (500w RMS)
Audiobahn AW1206Q (1100w RMS)/ALUM12Q(1000w RMS)

I've spent the past week building a custom sealed box for my new JL Audio 12w7 - It was a challenge making one that will go in/out of my Mach 1's trunk. Good news. It fits (baaaaaaaarrrely), and is designed for EXACTLY 1.375 net volume, and meets ALL of JL Audio's mounting specifications (biggest is a minimum of 3/4" space between rear of subwoofer and the back wall of the box). I gave it EXACTLY 3/4" clearance, making the box the absolute minumum depth to fit in the trunk..

I loaded up the 12w7 this morning, yanked the 2 10" Polk MM2104's that I have in a sealed q-logic dual enclosure... and fired up the car.

The Polks were getting (RMS) about 580 watts at 2 ohms. Using the same amp, the 12w7 is getting just over 400watts at 3 ohms. I expected a drop in SPL.

I was wrong.

The 12w7 ROCKS! It's louder than the 2 Polks with less wattage.

Now mind you, I picked up the 12w7 used (for $360 delivered). You have to search, but you can find one.

Don't take this the wrong way - there are LOTS of good subs out there - just make sure you enclose them properly (to the mfr's specs) and power them properly, and you'll most likely be happy with whatever you buy.

Gary

ChaosStarter said:
Luckily, I'm working with the trunk in my Grand Prix, so I have a good amount of space. I've also heard that IDMAX and Adire Audio Brahama are also good. Anyone know about these?

I take it you want two subs? If so, I wouldn't look into the IDMAX, rather IDQ. You don't have enough power for 2 IDMAX

ChaosStarter said:
yea, i figured as much about the IDMAX. How much power do the IDQs handle?

The IDQ 12's are rated at 350WRMS. They are also much cheaper than the IDMAX. I see you live in NJ. I bought my IDQV2 15" from the Raceway Mall in Freehold from Palace Electronics. They have lots of top of the line equipment and great price. They are also an ImageDynamics dealer

Adire just released the new Koda drivers. XBL^2 motor for about half the price of the Brahma. Also the shiva and Tempest are awesome drivers with little price tags. Pretty much all the RE drivers will meet your needs, Treo, SI, and DD as well. The IDMAX I would not go for. IMO, the IDQ is a much better driver and at a better price, not to mention they don't have the coil issues the Maxes have. Crystal subs are very good performers as well.

147 dB is pretty good no matter how you look at it. Chaos, if you are looking for good sq you should most likely shy away from the audiobahns. They are mainly made to just get loud and there are much better SQ drivers out there IMO. The sound quality on my Boston is incredible but I don't know if you want to pay $300 a piece for a driver that you have most likely never heard of. My $.02

I have two IDQ 12's in my GT...running off of a JBL 1200.1 and they freaking slam. But they are setup for SQ (as is the rest of my system) so I have them turned down. For they money they are the best subs you can buy.

My opinion...stay AWAY from MTX and Audiobahn.