Need some cam help. . .

jerzeykilla

Aug 27, 2006
Ok so im going with the comp cams stage 4 cams over the stage 2 BBR cams. Now my question is, the numbers are so so close, i was wondering if any cam gurus can tell me if there is an actual audible difference between the two, basically, if i had to cars, one with the BBR stage 2 and one with the Comp cams stage 4, would i be able to hear a difference?? here are the numbers...

Comp:
RPM Range 1500-6200. 222/239 .050" duration, .490/.485 lift, 116.5 LSA.
Gross Lift Intake- .490, Exhaust- .485
Advertised Duration Intake- 261°, Exhaust- 282°

BBR:
RPM Range 2000-6500. 241/251 .050" duration, .492/.492 lift, 114 LSA.
Gross Lift Intake- .492, Exhaust- .492
Advertised Duration Intake- 284°, Exhaust- 294°

• Sponsors (?)

Although the numbers looks fairly similar, I'd guess that those two cams are significantly different. The BBR cams have considerably more duration, and a slightly shorter lobe separation. If you draw out 19 degrees ( the difference intake duration) on a sheet of paper, it doesn't look like much. To an engine, 19 degrees is pretty huge. Similarly, with the lobe seperation, 2.5 degrees doesn't seem like much, but it can make all the difference to the engine.

In the end, I think a lot of your idle will be determined by your tune. Looking at those numbers, the BBR cams will be more lopey at idle, but some of that can be "tuned out". The BBR may make a little more power at the top end, but I'd guess that the Comp will make more power across the board, due to the dual pattern.

Take all of this with a grain of salt. Although I've dealt with cams in other cars, I have absolutely no experiance with the S197 cams. But if this is a street car, I'd agree with the others and stick with comp. The BBR cams, although the do look like good numbers, seem to be more of a race oriented camshaft. But that's just my $0.02

Whelp gentlemen...thanks alot for all your input. but i was on the phone today with a guy from comp talking about the gears, and he said they'll sound only a little different than stock, even though the numbers are so radical. reason being our cars have Variable Cam Timing, so it will not have the lopiness or the glub glub sound that were all thinking. i have my eyes set on a new prize...a whipple blower running 10psi. :nice: