need some help with my 76

ryans76

Aug 23, 2005
Hey there a couple of days ago my stang died ( 1976 with a 302 carb.). It died when i was coasting in neutral up to a stop light, it didnt jump like it stalled or anything just shut off. Well i tried starting it again and after 2 or 3 attempts it starting making a nasty cranking and whining sounds, so i guess my starter was shot. I replaced the starter and just before i was going to put my brace back on my car (the one right behind the engine crossmember). Now im kinda new to working on cars, but where ur transmission and engine connect on the bottom of the transmission there is a little gap. Well i seen a piece of metal sticking through there it looks like a bearing case. Its has notches on half and the other half seems to be flattened. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. Also before i noticed the metal pieces i started my car up and it started with no hesitation and it sounds great....????? Thanks for all your help......Ryan

• Sponsors (?)

ryans76 said:
hey there a couple of days ago my stang died ( 1976 with a 302 carb.) when i was coasting in neutral up to a stop light just died didnt jump like it stalled or anything just shut off well i tried starting it again and after 2 or 3 attempts it starting making a nasty cranking and whining sounds so i guess my starter was shot so that it was i replaced the starter and just before i was going to put my brace back on my car (the one right behind the engine crossmember) now im kinda new to working on cars but where ur transmission and engine connect on the bottom of the transmission there is a little gap well i seen a piece of metal sticking through there it looks like a bearing case its has like the notches half of it was flattened. if anyone has any ideas please let me know. also before i noticed the metal pieces i started my car up and it started with no hesitation and it sounds great....????? thanks for all your help......Ryan

Could you do a rewrite using upper case, commas and especially periods?

What's that saying?

Punctuation is the difference between:

He helped his uncle Jack off a mule,

and

He helped his Uncle jack off a mule.

Well im not too knowledgable about this but u have where ur engine and your starter connect into your transmission. There is a cover its like a dust cover ro what ever it is called. Well if u follow that dust cover straight down u have where the dust cover lines flust with ur transmission. Right in the middle of the bottom of your transmission where that dust plate connects there is a hole it is about an inch and a half long and about half an inch wide. Thats where i found the metal piece sorry about the bad explanation i am still trying to learn all the names of everything. I will get a better discription when i ask my friend he knows more about cars then me. Thanks again for your help. Hope this helps.

yes the starter was intact but it was in bad shape. When i lifted it out u could hear the inside moving around. Its really weird i mean it looks like half of a wheel bearing. It has all the groves in it like ripples so it looks like a piece of a bearing case. And the other half seems to be flattened. I was thinking about pulling my transmission and all that fun stuff. The only thing is the car seems to be running fine but i still dont know why it died.

Ryan,

By what I can gather your bendix has come apart. You really wouldn't be able to see it unless you take the snout off the starter.

What you need to do is take the starter apart and invintory the parts in the bendix, one of hte last things you need is to have part of the drive get jammed between the flywheel and bell (or such).

It's my guess your leaving out how long and how many times you tried starting the car after it died. It's a bit of coincidence that your starter would crap out at the same time your engine decided to stop running.

Far as your engine stopping? Yep, that happens, check the back of your ignitor box and see if it looks burnt. And the pickup in the distributer? ... ?

So many things to check, more information is needed.

ryans76 said:
I was coming up to a stop, so i was in netural when it died out on me. I was in second coming up to the stop light so i put it in netural to stop.

That really is the proper way to do it.

And the more expensive gas gets the more inclined I am to coast. :D

Well i tried starting the car 3 times then i heard a nasty cranking sound and the starter whinning. I knew that i need to rip my starter out. As far as the starter i didnt pay all too much attention to it. When i removed it u could hear the internals of the starter were messed up by just shaking it a little bit. You could hear it clunk back and forth. When i took it in to replace it they tested it for me and said it was basically frozen. Thanks for all the help.