neon interior light help

Ok guys,
i went out to our local parts store and got a whole bunch of stuff ( inline fuses, 3 prong switch ( ground , source, power) On-off switch. I hooked up a wire from the battary to the inline fuse then to the power on the switch. I ran a ground from the switch. I cut the cig lighter adapter off the neon light. I took the white-black wire(posative) and ran it to the source prong on the switch and ran the black wire on the neon ( ground) to the groudn on the switch. I made sure all connections were ok then i clicked the switch to on ( the switch illuminated) but the neon light would not come on, switched some wires blew the fuse put new fuse in retried nothing, Set all wires to original proper positions and still the neon would not come on but the sitch would. At this point i thoght i blew the neon i took it home, rehooked up the cig adapter to the neon , shocked myself, but it worked. So now i'm at a standpoint where i'm thinking there's somthing in the cig lighter adapter that does somthing to the current to make the neon work. What do i have to add the black-white (posative line) on the neon to the switch to make it work? what's in the cig lighter adapter that makes it work , because hooking the neon strait to the battery dosnt.

• Sponsors (?)

im about to do one right now, in about 30 mintues after I get my ass up. Basically cut it off the lighter and do this. Ground the wire from the neon to a normal body ground on the car. Then the Power wire from the Neon Hooks to the Acc. Plug on the 3 prong switch. Then Hook a positive wire to the Switch on the + Prong. Then Ground out the Switch too. I think you are forgeting to ground the wire on the neon tube. Dont ground out the neon tube on the switch. The switch needs its own ground.
GOOD LUCK! :Getting Lazy ass up soon before its too late:

Also, Dont be bashing on him, if its not your taste Leave, and dont comment. Some people make this world alot worse by giving other people bad comments & making fun of them. :nonono:
-Nick

there's probably an inverter in the cig. adapter - neons don't work on straight 12v. you could always get a cig lighter piece and wire it up (they actually sell the receiving ends of those - I've seen them - or you could grab one out of a junkyard car)

definately not ricer. As long as you don't stick the neon to the dash and make it visible I think you're fine :) I used to have a sub box that looked just like that - did you get it at ultimate electronics? got rid of it cause it wouldn't fit in my hatch.

Umm, I didn't bash him, it's just not my thing, but I was being honest, the ricer forums would have more info on this type of thing, now wouldn't they. I didn't say what he was doing was rice, did I?

ONE thing great about this world, is everyone is opinionated. Just when you have negative comments to someone that ISNT asking for them, and is ONLY asking for HELP, dont comment. :nonono: Also, Your car isnt Rice, Niether is mine, but hey I have Clear lights, and will have a neon tube in my stang, guess that makes me rice in his eyes huh guys? Ohwell, who cares? :shrug:
-Nick

P.S. Yeah, The Ground should do the trick if thats the case.

seriously....they really would know all bout that kinda crap in the rice forums, there you would get all you answers.....but uh...im wondering why too, why man...its a mustang...power..beauty..not rice... :nonono: but i have to put IMO so someone doesnt get pissed :rolleyes:...

Lol, No I understand your guys opposing points, and thats awsome. Just basically the Guys asking for help, and not comments, know what I mean? Also Eh, if all mustangs where the same, where would be the fun in that :shrug: Ill be happy when Im running low 13's, some will be satisfied running 11's, and others will be happy with a 6cyl show stang, all and all he was just asking for help, and was making that clear.
-Nick :flag:

i just want feet neons that's all, no rice, no nothing, tons of people do it, it's not visiable. Now i'm asking for help that's it.

----
, the ricer forums would have more info on this type of thing
------

Ricer forums would have more info on wiring. I'm not asking on help to build a huge wing dude, i'm asking for simple directions on wiring.

Now, an inverter, can i pick one up at the local store or somthing, hard to wire in, where about do i wire it in? what exactly does an inverter do?

the inverter is mst likely in the cig adapter that came with the neon. you can pick up a cig lighter port that you can wire in.

so you would want to put the cig part back on the neon and then plug it into the port you buy, and wire up the port.

if you didn't want to buy a port you could probably just solder + and - straight to the lighter adapter on the neon.

ok that's what i was thinking of doing, too bad i cant just buy a little box that i can to and from. : ) thanks for the info i see where i messed up .

i guess most neon kits come with inverters build into them, i dunno why but i couldnt find anymore posts like mine, most people dont have this issue

let me first start by saying that i hope you get it done.

next let me just say that like 90mustanggt, the first thing I thought was "why" and then I thought "he should ask an import forum" lol

I think something like that that isnt the norm for us stangers is usually looked at like a rice thing. thought not always a bad thing. In fact, i have some bad ass white face el glo gauges that match my phantom tach and fuel pressure and oil pressure pillar pod gauges and the el glo's are indiglo, as well as my lights that light up my pillar pod gauges and they look damn sweet if i must say so myself. we originally got that from imports right?

anyway, I just wanted to say that I was with him when my first thoughts were about the other forums. So whether he was bashing or not who cares, he is entitled to his opinion. (even though he said he wasn't bashing him)

carry on! lol

Yeah, but ohwell Ill let it die with this, Basically This is in the TECH forum, I usually see opinions on the Talk forum, but ohwell, Good Luck with this, Im cleaning up my wiring under my hood near the coil, finding a few problems, or soon to be problems first. Ill get my neon going soon too, tell me how yours works out!
-Nick