NEW 306 SMOKING help me out please

331strokerstang

Jan 20, 2009
so i have a 306 with all the goodies, bored .030, comp 274hr, long tubes, x pipe, single plane intake, and for now PRO COMP 3037 190cc alum heads, anyway it has maybe 4000 miles on it now probably more, but it has recently started smoking after idling warm for say 5-6min and slightly under wot, cant blame it there i built it to run 6500rpm and she sees it regualarly, i am not running a pcv system, just a oil cap on one side and a frpp breather on the other, i didnt put the short block together a very trusted machinist did so (done race cars for 30+ years) but im trying to narrow it down, it also smokes upon intial take off like after work if i get down on it ill have a small poof of smoke, i really dont want to tear it down but will if its serious, all cylinders have great comp 212psi on all except 3 has 210. thanks in advance guys

• Sponsors (?)

Was thinking valve stem seals as well.

Also PCV isn't a bad thing. It actually can improve performance a bit, as a vacuum in the crankcase means less air for wind resistance, and can help rings seal better as well. Just an FYI.

run it... read my post "seperator, baffle or both...

After i went thru a lot of anxiety learning how to do a leakdown. And, I will never buy a cheap tool again!:nonono: LOL But thanks to stykthyn:flag: I learned something new and useful. I just thank god all is fine.

Now, I am going to run it in hard! But, i would check everything you can so you are sure...

sorry it took so long ive been out of town, but i know the pro comps a pos heads but i got them on trade and anything is better than e7s but im saving for a set of afr 205 or rhs 200 idk yet, and no its not trick flow spring kit idk what stem seals he put in, but i do know it has comp dual springs matched to the cam plus locks and retainers that go with it, i will have to check out your post man thanks for the help guys.

Not sure how I helped unless you are being sarcastic. I do know that the same baffle that was on the explorer was offered as a warranty fix for the frpp cobra lower after it was farmed overseas. To the op I would double check to see if the screen isn't clogged in your PCV valve. Other than that this smacks of valve stem seals.

no i wasnt being sacastic just thanks for all the ideas to everyone, and i did hook up a pcv yesterday, didnt make a difference at all. im almost leaning toward valve guides prematurly wearing seals bc ive heard those heADs have guide problems and they were used when i gotthem