new clutch cable = hard to push??

saxman9801

Jan 27, 2003
Boise Idaho
So i installd a new clutch cable today and my squeaking is gone but the clutch is hard as hell to push down i don't know how the cable would have made a difference in pedal feel :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: any thoughts or ideas on why this is? thanks for the input. Dan

• Sponsors (?)

I have checked it over again, i will go back under the car tommorow and double check it again, this is a stock cable and quadrant so there so be no adjusting necessary correct? I would like to get this fixed cause it is annoying as heck, but on the lighter side i did install a bbk h pipe while i was under there and the car now sounds badass i love the throaty rumble!!! thanks for the help Dan

Any place from the clutch quadrant to the clutch release lever. It has to go through the firewall to get to the clutch, so maybe somewhere in there.

I didn't replace mine when I did my clutch, so I don't know it's specific routing.

You might want to disconnect the cable from the quardant, and see if it's difficult to move the pedal. It shouldn't be.
Scott

mustangman33 said:
I had the same prob when i did my swap, I almost had to all of my body weight on the pedal to get it into gear, then I got an adjustable cable and that solved the problem

That is very strange. I mean, how could an adjustable length cable make it easier to operate the clutch.

I am very confused!
Scott

it was like the cable was too long or something, and he used washers to take up some slack, I had aamaco do my install (which they screwed me royally), and how did you run the cable to the tranny, my engine and tranny is out of the car now and I left my cable in the same spot where I took it out from so I wouldnt have to remember how to run it.

I can't remember where exactly i ran it it comes down by the filter and then along the pan nothing appears to be abstructing it, so i don't know what its deal is, i am gonna take it off tommorow and try over and see how that goes. thanks Dan :bang: :bang:

So today after fighting with the cable again i took it off and put the stock one back on the pedal is cake to push now so i don't know what the deal was with the new one maybe i just got a new on, i still need to figure out a way to take out some free play in the pedal, would a firewall adjuster take care of this for me? Or could i just shorten the sotck cable a little bit? thanks for the help Dan

Cables are funny sometimes. As others have said make sure you have routed the cable properly. It helps sometimes to take the cable out and reinstall it as the cable may be in a bind even if it's in the the correct location. You may have also purchased a bad cable, rare but possible.

Take the cable you just removed, (the new one) and pull it back and forth inside the sleeve and see if it is still hard to slide.

To adjust the cable with a stock quadrant, take your foot and place it underneath the clutch pedal, and pull up. You will hear a few clicks. You have now adjusted the cable. Also I have heard of people depressing the clutch pedal and sidestepping the clutch. This will probably net the same result when the pedal is on its way back up at such speed and force.

If a Cable gets hot it can make it hard to push the clutch in as well.

Cables are funny sometimes, it just takes some fooling with and you may need to reinstall it a time or two if it isn't right.

Hope this helps, Good Luck.

I replaced my cable with an autozone $28 cable (cause ford wanted $169). My equal length headers had burned through it and it wouldn't go into gear. I thought it was just the cable but it actually was the whole clutch. I replaced the stock one with a King Cobra and the pedal was so hard to press in that I built up great muscles in my left leg. I finally got the BBK clutch cable kit with quadrant and installed it and now it feels like nothing is there, it's so easy to press down now. It's the quadrant man......you have to git rid of that plastic junk and get a aftermarket quadrant. The cable is adjustable at the fork under the car which is a PITA, but once that's done, it's sweet.