New engine start up

Discussion in '1994 - 1995 Specific Tech' started by Black95GT_Kid, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Black95GT_Kid

Black95GT_Kid Member

Showcase:
    Albums:
    Im currently building an engine for my car and am going to turbo it. Im curious if the stock tune is safe enough to break the engine in before i have it dyno tuned or if i should get a pre tuned chip the will be close for initial start up?
  2. BlackVert

BlackVert Mustang Master

is it still a 302? if so, it should run, but definately stay out of boost until you get a tune for it. otherwise, you'll probably be taking it apart again!
  3. revhead347

revhead347 I have face herpes.

It depends on what kind of engine it is. If it has a big camshaft, the intake vacuum at idle will drop below the range the stock tune can function with, and it will be undriveable. My car simply will not function without a chip. It idles at 1700 rpms, throws a check engine light, and runs so rich it chokes out the neighborhood. SCT offers a deal where you can get a chip with a basic tune based on your build information for $265, and then when you get the car broken in, you can take it to an SCT dealer, and they reflash the same chip.

Kurt