New guy with some Collectible/restoration/restomod questions.

todd92ford

Jun 21, 2011
Ill start off with the intro. The last car below is the one I am working on currently.

in 95 @ 18yrs old bought my 1st sports car, my 1st stang. A Calypso 5spd Vert. 4yrs, a bunch of mods and motors later I sold her :( I went through the gammut of other cars all of which Im proud to say have gone 12s or better. GTPs, LS1 Camaros and GTOs, even a honda hatch. Ew. Anyway, over the past couple of years ive been searching for THE Mustang again. Somethin about that Fox drop top I just had to have again. 18mos ago I picked up a triple black 92 lx. was very rough and short lived before I flipped it. then recently I came upon a 92 Feature vert in vibrant red. I STOLE it from this kid. had a bit of work to do, including a trans but no biggie. $1400 !!! only had 104k on it. Was a great car, but needed more than I was up for even tough I picked up yet another maroon 92 LX vert parts car. Now, with 4 verts in my life...it was time for the good one!

Saturday I picked up another 92 vibrant red "summer" feature edition LX Vert. 69k original documented miles on a clean carfax. dentless and dingless body. 100% stock with matching vin stickers all over the car. Unmolested, 3 owner Arizona car. Rare 3.27s. Came complete with original top boot in its bag with instructions (never used), cargo net and......a complete binder full of every service or receipt the car ever had! Score. Absolutely an amazing car. One that I have every intention of keeping for my kid, eventually.

IMAG0593.jpg

IMAG0590.jpg

So there it is. I have no intention of 'building' this car. Gonna fix up the seats since thats all it needs. I would like to do very minor things to the car:
CAI,
Cobra intake,
3.73s
Catback. (will remove rear to remove if need be, so I dont hack the stocks)

Anyone see an issue with me modifying the car like that, as long as I keep all the stock pieces?

• Sponsors (?)

I would see no issues as long as you do not make any new holes and keep the original parts...

You could also do under drive pulleys (black), 70mm Cobra mass air, 1.7 roller rockers, Ford ceramic shorties, magna catted H, port and gasket match the stock E7 heads. I would guess about 300 HP at the flywheel with that combo. Personally I would remove the silencer on the factory filter box and add a K&N filter versus the cold air kit. You also may want to consider having the factory lower intake ported as that is the most restrictive piece. The reason I say this, is when you open the hood at shows and other events, it would look completely stock, except for the headers and not many would notice that…

The other thing to consider is the body. If you have had Fox verts you know that they twist and flex. You can add a g-load brace without adding any holes, but will have to weld in subframes and drill for a strut tower brace. Total up to you, but I consider this a must for a vert that is driven even somewhat aggressively…

In my very humble opinion, this is one of the few Fox cars that will have real collector value in the future. A minty low-mile example with all the original stuff will be the big draw.

I concur with 90limited, pretty much completely. I have followed that exact formula with my Saleen, including having Tom Moss port the stock intake. Under the hood, the only change from stock that most would notice is the headers and even those are the plain stainless ones from Ford Racing that will be even more stealthy in a few years as they age. My changes are as follows:

Ported stock intake
Ford Racing shorty headers
76mm C&L mass air meter
Stock air box with K&N filter and silencer removed
March Power & Amp series underdrive pullies
Ford Racing wires and timing advanced to 16*
SLP cat-back exhaust

I have saved all of the parts I took off and could take the car back to completely stock in an afternoon, if I felt the need. In the mean time, it is a blast to drive and I could take it to a show and only people with a really keen eye would know that anything had been changed.

My .02

Definitely my reasoning behind buying a seperate rear end. I can pull off the stock one, take off the catback in one piece, put the new catback and rear end in and then someday reverse all of that if need be. :D

I do think this car will have 'some' value, eventually. Although thats not why I am in it. But when my son get to take it, somewhere around 2030....Im hoping its one of those bad ass antiques any kid would give anything to drive.

One other thing that I forgot to mention.

If that was my car and I was planning on driving it while still maintaining the collectibility, I would probably get a different set of wheels to run it on. Those pearlescent wheels are going to be REALLY hard to duplicate or refinish properly in another 15 years. They're specific to that car only.

Just a thought.