New HU in the wifes car

y2k2GT

Mar 1, 2007
Moyock, NC
Slowly getting rid of the Mach 1000 system in her car. The 6 disc changer pretty much quit. So now she has the Pioneer AVIC-d3, very nice. I also got rid of two of the stock amps and all the speakers except the two subs in the trunk, soon to also be gone. I put Polk audio comps in the doors and the rear deck, which I have hooked up to a Kenwood 4 channel amp. Man does this thing rock now. Much better than stock. Heres a few of pics of the Pioneer.

100_9142.jpg

100_9140.jpg

100_9139.jpg

100_9136.jpg

100_9135.jpg

100_9134.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Pre amp level to the stock amps and speaker level to the 2.5 full range speakers.
If you get the metra kit with the amp harness instead of the dual speaker harness you can wire it up, duck soup :nice:

He is correct, if you use the metra wiring harness it's a piece of cake. The harness allows you to run the stock amps and speakers off the new HU. Since I first put the hu in I have eliminated to two amps under the rear deck and replaced all of the stock speakers with 6.5" Polk audio seperates. All I have left are the four amps that run the two stock 10"s that came with the mach 1000. The wiring harness has a preamp rca connection that I pluged the stereos sub jacks into. Soon I'll be getting rid of them and replacing them with a JL audio W6 and one of their new HD amps.

Im a big fan of trunk space. I did a system a year back in an 03 with the JL stealth box, fits where the stock subs are. I think its a W3 and man did that thing sound great. Just used a small JL Mono bloc (not slash series), it wasnt a ground pounder but the sound quality was killer. I also have a friend that got that dual 10" custom box from ebay for his and the size was perfect for a pair of 10w6 v2s. Now that thing pounded. It clocked 139.2 db with two 1000/1 driving them :nice:

Yeah, I'm leaning toward cleaning out the trunk a bit, which is why we are getting rid of all of the stock 1000 equip. THe new JL HD amps are smaller than a sheet off paper and I think I can mount them where the stock amps were. They have two the HD 600 is a 4 channel amp (150x4) and the HD 750 is the mono block sub amp(750x1). I think these with a w6 and my current setup will sound awsome and not take up alot of room. I'm not looking for competition level but I do like a high quality, clean sounding music.

Sounds like you know your stuff :nice: I like that idea and a class D wont be such a drain on the charging system. 750 watts rms is great for a single 10 or 12 JL. 150 is a bit much for the highs but its better to have too much than not enough. Ive seen more speakers blown due to clipping than being over powered. Guess I have to get back in the loop as I am not familier with the new series. Are the HDs replacing the slash series or the A series?

You took the stok amps out in the rear and replaced them with just one kenwood four channel. then used metra's wiring harness to hook up the head unit?? are you still running the smaller amps as well up front?

I have the 460 system which I assume is a little bit different. I want to run all polk stuff and possibly a small sub in the rear. Also want to run a 4 chnl amp the interior speakers as well. pretty sure components will work in the doors.

I have the 460 system which I assume is a little bit different. I want to run all polk stuff and possibly a small sub in the rear. Also want to run a 4 chnl amp the interior speakers as well. pretty sure components will work in the doors.
Yeah, the 460 only has two amps for the 6x8 subs front and rear. Its really just two mono blocks. If you are putting components the best way is to run new wires from the new amp or deck to the doors and back speakers. If you want more than 60 watts rms per channel its better to get some good speaker wire anyway :shrug:

Sounds like you know your stuff :nice: I like that idea and a class D wont be such a drain on the charging system. 750 watts rms is great for a single 10 or 12 JL. 150 is a bit much for the highs but its better to have too much than not enough. Ive seen more speakers blown due to clipping than being over powered. Guess I have to get back in the loop as I am not familier with the new series. Are the HDs replacing the slash series or the A series?

Yeah, the Polks are rated a 100 RMS so the amp and 200 Peak so the amp will be pushing their limits but how often will I use that much and I can turn the gain back a bit. I don't think the HD are replacing any of the amps now, just JL's way of competing with Alpine PDX amps and Eclipses ICEPower amps. Except they do it better with there new processing system. These amps are smaller and put out big power and run cool. They only make the two right now, and I'm not sure the 750 is out yet. Both put out the same power from 4ohm down to 1 ohm. I just want to keep it simple and clean without eating up all the trunck space. Hard to go to Mustang week with a trunk full of stereo equip.

The only real difference in the two systems is the 1000 has four morw amps and two ten inch subs. The stock head unit run nothing but the 2.5" speakers front and back. The two amps under the rear deck runs four of the 5x7-6x8 front and back. The four amps in the trunk of the 1000 system cars only runs the two subs in the trunk.
Running comps is a piece of cake and you will need to run new speaker wire . You can get comps that are 5x7-6x8 that fit directly in our cars but round is better. I used the 6.5" and just made an adater out of some coil stock flashing which I covered in sound deadening, which is something you should do to the inside of your doors, makes a big difference in sound quality. Plus comps like power and sound much better with an amp pushing them than just using the head unit. It's a little work but in the end you will be much happier with the system over stock. I put Polk comps front and back and these things scream and when watching a movie it sounds incredible.