New Mustang Prices SUCK!

like I said for the money vs power you can't beat a terminator.. and I personally know I see more s197s around then 03/04 cobras hell I see at least four s197s each morning before on my way out of my development and if Im lucky i'll see one vert 03/04 a month on the road if it's nice out.. otherwise the only time I see them are at the track, friends garage, or at the street races owning everyone

• Sponsors (?)

Just buy an 03-04 Cobra. I just picked one up on Friday. It has low mileage and it handles and rides amazing. Not to mention it will blow away any new Mustang for less money. Find a low mileage one with mods and let their loss be your gain.

im pretty sure you take the blower off when you do the hellion kit lol

:rolleyes:

Nope, that's the whole point to "compound boost"! ;)

The nice thing about it though, is that you get none of the lag, or violent, short power bands that you'd get with your standard turbo set up. The blower comes on right off idle and gets the party going until the turbo gets up to speed and takes over on the top end.

The parasitic loss isn't nearly as bad as it would be with the blower alone, because you've got the turbo literally force feeding the blower at the top end and taking a lot of the work out of the process.

.....and how does 1,188 rwhp and 1,015 rwtq sound. :eek:

Check out the MM&FF write up on the install and testing of the kit.

Compound Boost 2003 Mustang Cobra Twin-Turbo - Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords Magazine

Yeah, the Mach's got a forged crank (assuming you got the 5-speed. The Auto's got a nodular iron unit), but otherwise the rods powdered cracked cap design and the pistons are hypereutectic just like the GT and early Cobra 4V's.

I've still seen guys make into the 450rwhp range safely with them though. :nice:

Yea, 1100+ HP does sound nice! But I read an article in another magazine (I'll try to find it later) that did a comparison with just supercharger, compound supercharger/turbo, and finally just turbo, and IIRC, the turbo by itself was outperforming the compound motor by like 3000-3500 rpm, and made much higher peak numbers in the end. I believe the control in the experiment was the boost pressures were held constant between all 3 setups, but I don't remember for sure. Regardless, 1100HP is a lot of power, and I feel like when you get into that playing field, its really just whose peak numbers are bigger. Like a battle at the dyno. Its not like you can use all of those ponies on the street! :D

Yea, 1100+ HP does sound nice! But I read an article in another magazine (I'll try to find it later) that did a comparison with just supercharger, compound supercharger/turbo, and finally just turbo, and IIRC, the turbo by itself was outperforming the compound motor by like 3000-3500 rpm, and made much higher peak numbers in the end. I believe the control in the experiment was the boost pressures were held constant between all 3 setups, but I don't remember for sure. Regardless, 1100HP is a lot of power, and I feel like when you get into that playing field, its really just whose peak numbers are bigger. Like a battle at the dyno. Its not like you can use all of those ponies on the street! :D
Yeah, at some point the Eaton does become a restriction. The same set up run with an '01 Cobra manifold actually made a good bit more peek power but as you said....streetability becomes questionable. At those power levels turbo systems alone on a small displacement engine like our 4.6L tend to be really soft down low and become ultra violent in the 4,000RPM range. Great if you're at the track and able to load it up off the line, or if you're trying to build a dyno queen, but its not something that sounds very pleasant for a daily driver.....especially in stop and go traffic and under moderate throttle.

The nice thing about the compound boost is that its 100% streetable. Ungodly torque and horsepower starting right off idle, that pulls hard and consistent right till redline. Peek power may be down a little, but its still way up under the curve and most of the way accross the board in comparison to turbo alone, with a far more usable powerband.

I've actually tossed the idea of compound boost around myself should I decide to keep my Allen kit. I'm thinking a single turbo set up good for around 600hp would perform really nice in conjunction with my M90S. No lag down low and no running out of steam up top. Just pull, pull, pull!!! :nice: