New PI intake for NPI heads available

LI98GTStang

Founding Member
Jun 22, 2000
L.I., NY
If your an NPI headed stang, and have been wondering when an altered PI intake or adapter plate was ever going to be available for us, you can stop wondering. Livernios has come out with a kit that includes all that is needed to swap the intake. There have been some testing by the t-bird guys who used epoxy to mate a PI intake to NPI heads with some good success in the power improvement department (no pun intended).

http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product.phtml?p=457&large=1

• Sponsors (?)

redlined50 said:
wow $700 i can get a pi head swap done and make 10X the power that will.

Unfortunately, I agree with you that the price came in so high. By the time you add shipping, your close to $700. In previous and current feedback, most of us would like to see a breakout the kit and to offer the adapter plates seperately as well as in a kit and that the kit should be in the $500 range. I don't deny that if they went through the trouble to develop the adapter plates, that they should be able to try and make a profit if there is a market, but that is a lot of money sold that way. I guess in time we will see how much interest they get with the current pricing/packaging, but I believe that us NPI guys are looking at a much cheaper alternative to the approx. $1k PI headswap (not including labor).

Thats quite a bit of money. I'm curious as to how much a PI intake would benefit NPI guys. I've always thought that free flowing heads are KEY esp. in N/A applications.

re: 35RWHP gain
Thats not peak power. I believe they're referring to 35hp gain @ redline.

Humm yeah, I hope thats a joke.

I put a set of ported and polished PI heads and intake on my 98 for under a grand. Grab your wrenches and do it yourself. I had 1500 total in absolutly everything including longtubes and prochamber.

You guys need to wake up and smell the coffee, Add a PI intake to crappy non PI heads and where are you now 215 rwhp?? Add some PI cams and add another 8 or so. Humm I will garuntee that my car was making 250 rwhp or more.

Just doesn't make any sense.

later

you could use this intake on a set of port and polished PI heads and port match the intake and you could make more power than a set of PI heads. I has been proven time after time that the non PI heads flow more cfm than PI heads when they have been port and polished. everyone thinks that if you have PI heads that you will gain more just because they have more from the factory.

98yellowstang said:

I put a set of ported and polished PI heads and intake on my 98 for under a grand. Grab your wrenches and do it yourself. I had 1500 total in absolutly everything including longtubes and prochamber.

You guys need to wake up and smell the coffee, Add a PI intake to crappy non PI heads and where are you now 215 rwhp?? Add some PI cams and add another 8 or so. Humm I will garuntee that my car was making 250 rwhp or more.

later

My point exactly to Livernois. They are comparing this kit to the SVO intake which is double+ the price of their kit. I don't think they considered comparing their altered PI intake kit (added with PI cams) to a PI headswap kit. I probably should have gone the headswap route, now that I see this pricing. I didn't want to wait a few years though to be able to save enough money for the parts and then only to have a major job ahead of me that I wasn't comfortable enough to attempt with the PI headswap:(

So, where I'm at now with only PI cams, midpipe and pulleys I dyno'd at 218rwhp and a decent amount of tque. Add to that an altered PI intake which would open up the upper rev range and add approx. 17rwhp and I would be in the 235rwhp range, not including the catback recently added. The 17hp number from the t-bird guy (Kdanner) who started all this NPI mess with an epoxy version that he dyno tested.

I would have been happy with this level of power, given the price had been lower and with the level of installation that is more easily swallowed by me compared to the whole PI headswap. Another bonus would be that I would still be running 87 octane, compared to the PI heads that would need premium.

I would love the kit, just too much $ and as you guys pointed out makes staying NPI NOT the way to go. If they are so confident in the kit why not do what VT engines did with their special introductory pricing of their new cams? Got the interest and word out and the parts in the hands of eager customers. Win-win.

It was my car that had the PI intake epoxied and installed.KD and I have been good friends for a few years now,and we both are convinced that the PI cylinder head casting by itself makes no more power than the Non-PI head does.KD did the work on the intake,and we met up at a dyno shop to install and test it.It picked up 19rwhp at the peak point.Not bad,about what we expected.But the gains at 6100 rpms were amazing...
39rwhp gain at 6100 rpms.
JL

98yellowstang said:
I will garuntee that my car was making 250 rwhp or more.

Got a dyno sheet to prove that statement?Your 1/4 mile times sure as hell don't show it.
I have data,and dyno sheets..and timeslips that show the NPI isn't a turd.

JL

98yellowstang said:

later

You, my friend, need to wake up and smell the coffee a bit. First off it has been proven by JL that the non-PI heads themselves can easily flow just as well as the PI heads. The reason that the PI headswap is such a benefit is because of the PI cams, PI intake, BUMP IN COMPRESSION, and the fact that STOCK FOR STOCK the PI heads flow a little better.

However, let's say I wanted to take my "crappy" non-PI engine and put a blower on it. The headswap is no longer such a good option because of the bump in compression. So what could I do? I could get this intake (or modify a PI intake the way JL did), get a good set of cams, and have Renegade do some good work on my PI heads, and then I wouldn't have to worry about the bump in compression.

But I do agree that Livernois missed the boat on the pricing a bit and also by not just selling the plates. With just the plates, I could find a used PI intake and it would be cheaper than their kit most likely. And I also agree that for someone just wanting a new intake without the correct reasons will not want this intake because they may be able to do the headswap for just a little more. But someone with the right reasons may want something like this.

Sorry for the rant, but I just felt that maybe this needed a little better explaining.

Johnny L: 2 trips to the track and every run within .5 MPH of 102 with roughly 5 runs per trip.

Mr E.: And exactly how much are you going to have wrapped up into this package that you are just going to send off to renegade? I mean I realize that it can be done, some of us just don't agree with spending that much to put all of these components together.

Its hard enough to mod these motors, I just don't see why you have to put yourself at a greater disadvantage.