new radiator

hey everyone. i am installing a new radiator, hoses, coolant, etc. tomorrow in my 95' mustang gt, auto 5.0. i have installed one other radiator before (93' caprice). is there anything tricky about the install. i printed the directions from the autozone website and it looks pretty straight forward. will i need any special tools? any special procedure filling the coolant back up? thanks in advance. i really appreciate the help.
-roger:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

to burp the system run it with the cap at teh 1st detent, meaning not all the way tight. The cap will be sort of loose but not able to be taking off. As the engine warms and the T-stat opens remove the cap and let it run. You whould have a drop in the system while its running so have some coolant ready. I tend to run the engine at a highr then idle maybe 1500 rpm to get the coolant moving then let it run back donw to idle.

As for thread sealer the tape works just make sure you dont have any loose pieces since this tape will clog the system if it is allowed to get in to the system. You can use the tube of sealer that Loc-tite sells but the tape is cheap.

cool. i already have the tape so i guess i will try it.

i managed to fill the radiator up till almost the bottom of the neck. started car. while it was warming up it ran over some (up till then i had made very little mess). then the t-stat opened it dropped a lot then i filled it up. i then filled the overflow. thanks for the "burp" info. i will try it today to make sure i have all the air out.

i really appreciate the help.

to burp the system run it with the cap at teh 1st detent, meaning not all the way tight. The cap will be sort of loose but not able to be taking off. As the engine warms and the T-stat opens remove the cap and let it run. You whould have a drop in the system while its running so have some coolant ready. I tend to run the engine at a highr then idle maybe 1500 rpm to get the coolant moving then let it run back donw to idle.

As for thread sealer the tape works just make sure you dont have any loose pieces since this tape will clog the system if it is allowed to get in to the system. You can use the tube of sealer that Loc-tite sells but the tape is cheap.

Made it too late. This is what you need to do. If you can get it on a slight hill or jacked up a little on the drivers side that helps too.

Jason

cool. i already have the tape so i guess i will try it.

i managed to fill the radiator up till almost the bottom of the neck. started car. while it was warming up it ran over some (up till then i had made very little mess). then the t-stat opened it dropped a lot then i filled it up. i then filled the overflow. thanks for the "burp" info. i will try it today to make sure i have all the air out.

i really appreciate the help.

No problem. Best is to keep the car running with the cap off for at least 20 minutes. It's common to see it drop. Just keep filling it until you can't anymore.

Jason

well, i had a slight drip from the tranny lines yesterday. i called it quits till today. i took the fitting off and wrapped it in the thread sealer tape. the top one is perfect no drips. the bottom one still drips. i took it off and did the same thing but i cannot get the line to go back into the fitting. maybe i was just tired. i will mess with it again tomorrow after i get some rest:(

well, i had a slight drip from the tranny lines yesterday. i called it quits till today. i took the fitting off and wrapped it in the thread sealer tape. the top one is perfect no drips. the bottom one still drips. i took it off and did the same thing but i cannot get the line to go back into the fitting. maybe i was just tired. i will mess with it again tomorrow after i get some rest:(

Sure it's not stripped?

Jason

i don't think so. the tranny line fits into the fitting that goes into the radiator but i can't seem to get the nut into the fitting to screw it in. i will play with it again tomorrow. if it is the fitting that goes into the radiator, i still have the ones from the original radiator so i might try them.

i don't think so. the tranny line fits into the fitting that goes into the radiator but i can't seem to get the nut into the fitting to screw it in. i will play with it again tomorrow. if it is the fitting that goes into the radiator, i still have the ones from the original radiator so i might try them.

Usually you have to use two wrenches so you don't twist the line. You didn't crack the line? If not, I know they are picking in getting them perfectly lined up before it will screw in.