New 'stang pics/need wheel well clearance!

STEEDA85GT

Founding Member
Nov 4, 2000
Z-hills, FL
Just picked up this '88 GT here locally and am overall happy to be back in a fox body after a few years (couple terminators, a lightning, and a :cough:Z06:cough:).

View attachment 382986

View attachment 382987

View attachment 382988

Mostly stock drivetrain short of the usual e-cam, exhaust, gear, intake bolt ons. Would like to keep her as a solid daily driver for the next year or so until i get the company car and then it's on :nice:

Looove how the car sits but the lip of the rear wheel well is just barely cutting the tread on the rear tires when i hit bigger bumps in the road. Need just a touch more clearance - they are already rolled a little inside right above the tire. Would it hurt to grab a dremel and trim some of that inner lip away or should i roll it more? What's the best method for doing so?

Also, car needs to be converted to mass air (speed density and an e-cam sucks). Who makes the best wiring harness for the conversion and how hard is it to do?

Thanks in advance and it's good to be back!

• Sponsors (?)

Car would 10times better withOUT that red interior ewwww nice looking car thou.. how much you pay for it

Haha...red was not my first choice but it's so clean it was hard to pass up. That and it works out ok with the mineral grey i think. I paid a bit more than I wanted to for my next fox but this one's clean - all original panels that have never been off the car and original window sticker/paperwork - just don't see many like it. Plus all the cheap stuff around here is either beat to snot or a lot more of a project than I'm looking for right now.

i've seen something that fits on the lugs that you just rotate like an arm that actually rolls the lip. I don't remember where I saw it or what it is called but someone may know what I am talking about

eastwood makes the best fender rooler IMO. we have used it at work a few times....a guy in town with a 98 Camaro SS with a turbo has one that we borrow time to time

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&itemID=6159&keyword=31158

Looks more or less perfect for the job but spending $250 on a tool I'll most likely use once kinda sucks. What kind of shop do you work in that carries one? Body or speed/performance shop? Gonna have to start calling around...

Just picked up this '88 GT here locally and am overall happy to be back in a fox body after a few years (couple terminators, a lightning, and a :cough:Z06:cough:).

View attachment 382897

Mostly stock drivetrain short of the usual e-cam, exhaust, gear, intake bolt ons. Would like to keep her as a solid daily driver for the next year or so until i get the company car and then it's on :nice:

Looove how the car sits but the lip of the rear wheel well is just barely cutting the tread on the rear tires when i hit bigger bumps in the road. Need just a touch more clearance - they are already rolled a little inside right above the tire. Would it hurt to grab a dremel and trim some of that inner lip away or should i roll it more? What's the best method for doing so?

Also, car needs to be converted to mass air (speed density and an e-cam sucks). Who makes the best wiring harness for the conversion and how hard is it to do?

Thanks in advance and it's good to be back!

that is one BAD ride:nice: welcome back (btw, i dont mind the red:D )

Couple of terminators, Z06 and now a fox body? lol. What prompted you to make the change? BTW the car looks good. I don't mind the red at all when it's that clean.:nice:

Baby on the way and had to cut back a bit. Bought the wifey a new 4WD Commander so I'm back in a cheaper ride. Besides...just something about the exhaust note and overall feel of a fox body.

PS - Any more tips on rolling that lip back? I HAVE to get this done tomorrow before I run through a brand new set of rear tires for no reason.

nice looking car!

good color and the red interior looks good, somone has redone the seats with leather or vinyl lol i cant tell what it is. there were no leather seats until 1990 and i duno if there were many red leather seats then, i have never seen any from what i can remember.

IMO the red interiors look ALOT better in real life up close. its hard to take a nice pic of a red interior, the flash usually lights it up and makes the appear a much brighter red then it actually is. i have the same color interior and from my POV every day its much darker, but when i take pics it shows up lighter and looks strange.

those wheels look great also.

those rears wheels sit nicely in the right spot under the fender and the tires really fill the fender and its looks excellent.

good luck and take care of her lol

i also have the same shift knob haha!