New Steering Wheel...now a problem

Tim65GT

Feb 24, 2004
West Texas
I installed my new steering wheel yesterday and today when I drive it feels like the shaft bearing is bad. the wheel moves up and down and side to side about 1/4" inch.

I think I know what happened. When I removed the old wheel, there was a spring on the shaft. I didn't re-instal it, cause the instuctions said nothing about it. I now think it keeps pressure on the bearing so it doesn't come out of the pocket.

Can anyone confirm this?

I just hope I can get the new hub back off. I cranked it kinda tight and I don't have a wheel puller. :mad: The old wheel came right off no problem.

• Sponsors (?)

the spring may be the problem. i remember i 'thought' i had tightened the big nut on the shaft, but i apparently didnt' and it moved around alittle bit and slipped.. I retightened and everything was peachy.

as for the wheel puller it was fairly easy for myself to make one. If you look at the design of a real simple one u'll see it's possible. and i'm not really that handy when it comes to metal work and stuff like that haha

what kinda wheel is it?

Grant Signature Series model 774:

grt-1770.jpg

I thought the stock wheel was 15"

So I ordered a 14" one. As it turns out I think the stock wheel is more like 16"

Anyway I like the additional room between the seat and the bottom of the wheel for getting in and out. I put '88 Stang GT seats in it a while back and lost about an inch. Now I have it back.

The smaller diameter requires more effort, but it provides more feel and it has a much better grip.

Attachments

• grt-1770.jpg
    grt-1770.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 44
Just as I thought, the hub wouldn't come off with out a puller.

I peiced together parts from my power steering pulley puller and my bearing slide puller, but I neede to run to the store to get 3 - 2" x 1/4-28 bolts to thread into the hub.

Once I got it off the spring pushed the bearing right back into position!

Woo Hoo!