New to forums. Question about towing?????

Indebt31

Oct 20, 2008
Just got back into Mustangs after a 8 year hiatus. I bought a 66 with a 289 and now I get to tow it home. Ive never done this before so I was wondering if you guys can give me some tips on a succesful tow. I'll be using a Chevy work van 3500 series and i'm renting a flatbed from uhaul. The hitch on my van says max load 4000 lbs so Im assuming this is plenty to haul. Is there anything else I'll be needing to tow this car? Im very nervous about this and want to do everything safe and legal so any help would be great. Thanks for the great forum and look forward to reading on.
John

• Sponsors (?)

Just got back into Mustangs after a 8 year hiatus. I bought a 66 with a 289 and now I get to tow it home. Ive never done this before so I was wondering if you guys can give me some tips on a succesful tow. I'll be using a Chevy work van 3500 series and i'm renting a flatbed from uhaul. The hitch on my van says max load 4000 lbs so Im assuming this is plenty to haul. Is there anything else I'll be needing to tow this car? Im very nervous about this and want to do everything safe and legal so any help would be great. Thanks for the great forum and look forward to reading on.
John

66's are around 3000 lbs, so you're fine there (mine weighed in at 3140 with me in it, half a tank of gas and a ton of crap, not to mention it has a 351). Other than that, Ive never towed anything and wouldn't know.

John

the hitch you have is adequate for what you want to do. you will need some tie down straps, i prefer the ones that go over the tires myself. you should have six of them at least one for each tire, and one for the front and rear of the car.

take your time doing the tow, leave plenty of distance between you and the car in front, i like to keep about 4-5 seconds between me and the car in front because braking distances will be much longer. when you go around corners, from one street to another, dont turn in like you normally do, you want to go straight about 1/2 a car length past the corner then start your turn that should give you plenty of clearance between the trailer and anything by the curb.

just remember easy does it when towing and you should get where you are going in one piece.

one more thing, check your load every time you stop. make sure the straps are tight, and that your safety chains are not draggin the ground.