New to Sound Systems- Need advice on how to get started

What I've got right now is an '02 GT with the Mach 460 and zero personal knowledge of sound systems. I've talked to some of my friends about what exactly I need to do, but they don't seem like they know what they're talking about so I did some searching on this forum but all that has done is get me even more confused. I'm not looking for a killer competition setup, only just a little boost to what I've got in the car right now. Mainly what I am looking for is a little more bass, so I guess that I will probably need a sub.

Here are my goals:
1- more bass with as little trunk lid rattle as possible
2- I want to keep the stock face plate if at all possible
3- budget as low as possible (maybe $300ish but flexible)- I have no idea how much this stuff will cost me :shrug:
4- I don't want to lose my whole trunk to sound stuff
5- I don't want to trade poor quality for a cheap price

Just because I am naive and I don't know anything, I think that two 12s would be really cool, but this is probably where you guys tell me that this is overkill for my goals or way to expensive.

I really don't know anything about the subject, so I was hoping that you guys could guide me in the right direction of getting started. Please give me suggestions on what all I need to get in order to accomplish my goals. Without you guys, I will be left at the complete mercy of a HiFi Buys salesman. Since I know so little, I would prefer however that whatever you guys suggest can be installed by someone other than me, unless you guys tell me that it is not worth the money.

Thanks for your ideas and time.

• Sponsors (?)

Truthfully, you will not be able to get GREAT sound with a stock head unit, and stock speakers (which are paper thin). If you are just looking for some extra bass, then you should check out the infinity basslink. Its a 200 watt powered subwoofer. Its within your budget of 300 and will give you more bass, without using a bunch of trunkspace. Here is a link http://www.crutchfield.com/S-3vZTJM...1000&I=108BASSLIN&o=p&a=0&cc=01&avf=N&search=
Crutchfield is a little expensive to buy from, but I suggest it for anyone who is just getting into sound systems because they have a great customer service line and will walk you through the whole install, step by step. If you are looking to have a really nice sounding system, and are on a low budget, then just buy things one at a time, thats what I did.

hey im new to all this sound stuff too but im lookin to do a full starting system(head unit subs amp speakers) what i suggest is that you find out as much info as you can, do research and then hit ebay or try to buy a used system from someone you know. i just picked up 2 audiobahn 12's and an audiobahn 1200 watt amp from my friend for 200 and im sure it will be more then i need. but anyway the point is that w/ a deal like that it freed up alot of room to spend more one a good head unit or just a way to save money since you arent looking for a killer sound system. i think thats a good way to start but some people like to always be the first owners and buy things new and thats fine too. and one more thing if you go w/ just one sub you def wont kill your trunk space and will get some more thump.

the one suggestion i make to my customers is listen. take a good quality cd (not a burned one) like eric clapton to the store, and listen to all of the speakers in your price range. decice what you like the best. make sure the salesperson sets the deck flat (ie: no bass boost, trebel boost, and definitly no loud). everything all of us say is crap, because what you like in sound is most likley completely differant from what every one else likes. go to a reputable stereo store, not bestbuy, or circut city, or the like. the people in mom, and pop shops have alot more knowledge. i personally work in a larger chain (Ultimate Electronics), and can tell you we have to go through alot of training to be on our sales floor. look for the person with excitement about what they are selling, they are going to be the most reliable.

Ok....

Thundermouse said:
What I've got right now is an '02 GT with the Mach 460 and zero personal knowledge of sound systems. I've talked to some of my friends about what exactly I need to do, but they don't seem like they know what they're talking about so I did some searching on this forum but all that has done is get me even more confused. I'm not looking for a killer competition setup, only just a little boost to what I've got in the car right now. Mainly what I am looking for is a little more bass, so I guess that I will probably need a sub.

Here are my goals:
1- more bass with as little trunk lid rattle as possible
2- I want to keep the stock face plate if at all possible
3- budget as low as possible (maybe $300ish but flexible)- I have no idea how much this stuff will cost me :shrug:
4- I don't want to lose my whole trunk to sound stuff
5- I don't want to trade poor quality for a cheap price

Just because I am naive and I don't know anything, I think that two 12s would be really cool, but this is probably where you guys tell me that this is overkill for my goals or way to expensive.

I really don't know anything about the subject, so I was hoping that you guys could guide me in the right direction of getting started. Please give me suggestions on what all I need to get in order to accomplish my goals. Without you guys, I will be left at the complete mercy of a HiFi Buys salesman. Since I know so little, I would prefer however that whatever you guys suggest can be installed by someone other than me, unless you guys tell me that it is not worth the money.

Thanks for your ideas and time.

You can certainly meet your goal of getting a little more *quality* bass with your stock system.

IMHO, there are 2, and only 2 ways to approach it.

1) "good" solution - Infinity BassLink or BassLink-X (same unit - one is black, one is see-through). It isn't cheap ($500 list) + install $$. My guess is you can get it for a total of $500 installed if you poke around your big-box stores.

2) "Best" solution - Get a real amp and a JL Audio StealthBox. The JL Audio stealthbox is a fiberglass enclosure and 10" JL10w3v2 sub designed to fit the passenger side wheel well - and give you complete access to your spare. You'll also need an amp capable of putting out 400w rms into 2 ohms (it's a 3 ohm sub - thus 400 at 2 ohms most likely will get you to 300 at 3 ohms where you want to be). You can see it here:
http://www.jlaudio.com/stealthbox/mustang_coupe.html

Again, you'll need to have the amp installed. You will have to find a true JL Audio dealer - but you'll be happy as a clam.

There is no "$300" solution.

Well you guys have certainly enlightened me that this is not a cheap thing to do. A budget of $300 indeed looks foolish, so I'm ready to spend into the $500 area. I have no problem buying used stuff, but I don't know anyone interested in selling their stuff.

As per your suggestion, I've been doing some research and looking around. I've found a "Power Acoustik Party Pack" here http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...03&skuId=999913400050003&type=product&count=1 for $280. It includes a 2 channel amp and two 10" subs. Does Power Acoustik make good stuff, or is it crap? From what I've been seeing online as far as prices go, this seems like a good deal to me, but could you guys look at it and see if there is somebody awful enough wrong with it to make the price go down? I appreciate you experience in this area, because to my uneducated eyes, this looks great. Also, if this does happen to be a decent package worth buying, what other expenses should I expect to pay for in order to get it working in my car. (For example do I need any sorts of gadets or whatever...)

Thanks

Well, with any "starter" package under $500 you will not get the heart stopping, I am dizzy when I stand up bass, but you dont really need that if you are just a starter. This package from best buy is okay...its 440 watts rms total between the two subs and thats not bad. There is nothing really wrong with any of the equipment, nothing that really raises a red flag in my book. Would I ever buy it, no. Only because I am used to listening to louder more efficent subs, but you will probably never know the difference.

Thanks for your help so far, I'd be nowhere without you. Sorry to keep bothering you guys, but I need to pick your brain some more. I called Best Buy and they quoted me $180 for the installation. Is this about right, or am I getting ripped? Is it worth me learning how to install this stuff for $180?

The other issue I have is the box. The guy I talked to was not sure if they have a box that would fit my car. I did find a box at http://www.soundoffaudio.com/item.cfm/id/2119 but I guess that I didn't realize it would be another $100 for the box. Do you know of any other places online that sell boxes to fit Mustangs so that I can do a little shoppping around?

Thanks

Thundermouse said:
Thanks for your help so far, I'd be nowhere without you. Sorry to keep bothering you guys, but I need to pick your brain some more. I called Best Buy and they quoted me $180 for the installation. Is this about right, or am I getting ripped? Is it worth me learning how to install this stuff for $180?

The other issue I have is the box. The guy I talked to was not sure if they have a box that would fit my car. I did find a box at http://www.soundoffaudio.com/item.cfm/id/2119 but I guess that I didn't realize it would be another $100 for the box. Do you know of any other places online that sell boxes to fit Mustangs so that I can do a little shoppping around?

Thanks

Be careful!! You build/buy a box around the subwoofer - you don't just buy a box that fits in your car.

Each subwoofer has a set of parameters that determine that subwoofer's response to box volume...

Pick a woofer, and then find a box that meets it's specifications *AND* will fit in your trunk.

grodgers said:
Be careful!! You build/buy a box around the subwoofer - you don't just buy a box that fits in your car.

Each subwoofer has a set of parameters that determine that subwoofer's response to box volume...

Pick a woofer, and then find a box that meets it's specifications *AND* will fit in your trunk.
good i heard u say that before i went out and just picked up a box. i bought my subs used(audiobahns) where would i be able to find the info on what kind of specs my box would need? the box the guy gave me wont fit in my car

Thundermouse, You are on the right path, by asking questions first instead of later. My advice is to PLAN, PLAN, PLAN. Buy equipment that you like that fits your needs and budget, and works together. For example, don't buy an amp and subs and then find out later that the amp isn't suitable to use with your subs. Happens all the time. And whatever you end up with, have fair expectations of it. An example of that, don't buy some "low end' gear and expect it to sound like state-of-the-art. I see that happen, too. But sometimes that's part of the learning curve. Just keep asking questions.

just wondering but is following the specs for a box specific to my subs so that i get the best quality sound or so that i dont screw up my subs cause its lookin like im gonna hve to build a custom box and i think i could sacrifice some sound qualty for just buyin a box that fits the subs and my trunk...of course i say this now when if im not gonna screw up the subs by doin this ill probably kick my self later when im paying for a custom box cause the one i bought is annoying. just wondering

FunkMasterFlex said:
just wondering but is following the specs for a box specific to my subs so that i get the best quality sound or so that i dont screw up my subs cause its lookin like im gonna hve to build a custom box and i think i could sacrifice some sound qualty for just buyin a box that fits the subs and my trunk...of course i say this now when if im not gonna screw up the subs by doin this ill probably kick my self later when im paying for a custom box cause the one i bought is annoying. just wondering

All subs have a specific configuration(box type, size, etc.) that will make it perform at its best. Any deviation from that will cause that performance to suffer to some degree. It is possible to go to extremes that would damage your subs, but you would have to go completely stupid for that to happen. Amplify properly, and put your subs in the correct KIND of box, reasonably close in specs to what is recommended, and you should be fine.

grodgers said:

Thanks for the tip. I guess that I'll get in touch with these people and find the right box that will also fit in my trunk.

Also, the last time I talked to the Best Buy sales rep, he mentioned that I would need to change out my head unit because "The bass on Ford cars drop as the volume is turned up." Is this good wisdom because it is true or just a plain good idea, or is this guy just trying to get me to buy everything possible.

And since I don't know jack, does changing the head unit mean that the panel that I change the volume on and put the CDs in will get replaced? I like the setup of that thing, so it would be cool if it could stay, but I guess it's not worth losing sound quality.

Bloomy316 said:
All subs have a specific configuration(box type, size, etc.) that will make it perform at its best. Any deviation from that will cause that performance to suffer to some degree. It is possible to go to extremes that would damage your subs, but you would have to go completely stupid for that to happen. Amplify properly, and put your subs in the correct KIND of box, reasonably close in specs to what is recommended, and you should be fine.

Very well stated.. :nice:

Thundermouse said:
Thanks for the tip. I guess that I'll get in touch with these people and find the right box that will also fit in my trunk.

Also, the last time I talked to the Best Buy sales rep, he mentioned that I would need to change out my head unit because "The bass on Ford cars drop as the volume is turned up." Is this good wisdom because it is true or just a plain good idea, or is this guy just trying to get me to buy everything possible.

And since I don't know jack, does changing the head unit mean that the panel that I change the volume on and put the CDs in will get replaced? I like the setup of that thing, so it would be cool if it could stay, but I guess it's not worth losing sound quality.

I've never heard that one before (bass dropping as volume goes up)- I do know that there is a feature on the Mach460 that will increase the volume as speed increases (or noise increases or something like that), but before I replaced my system, I had just turned that feature off.

You *can* just add a sub setup to the Mach 460 system - lots of folks have done it and are very happy - do a search and you'll find lots of info (i didn't do it, so I don't know the first thing about it).

Best of luck -

Thundermouse, does the price of $180 for installation including the amplifier installation kit or no? Personally if you have a pair of wirer strippers and some connectors I would suggest doing it yourself, I have always done mine and I learned it all on my own. Honestly it is not that difficult if you are half way useful with your hands (example: know the difference between a hammer and a screwdriver). And if you need any help I can type you up an article of how to do a basic installation.

my suggestion: read this http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-ZKJYb3sHo0t/learningcenter/car/amplifiers.html
if you dont want to go crazy and spend alot on your audio system just get and infinity basslink or jl enclousre, easy install, gives you the bass you want. if you want to get the great all around sound youll have to ditch your stock speakers and h/u for a nice aftermarket set up.
the link above will help you a little to choose, and also has an installation video, dont pay 180, thats a total rip off, if you need additional help just pm me, i do amp installs daily, its easy especially in mustangs :)

Being an MECP certified installer I would say that is a pretty fair price. A lot of the price depends on the shop and who is installing. For a simple amp and sub install it is a pretty much a flat rate. Unless you started want some custom work or flush mounted amps. You can easily install a lot of it yourself. I started by a little bit of reading and just going out and installing it. Just expect to spend about double the time of a standard installer. The only tricky part about insalling the the amp with the stock unit is finding a good accesory wire for the remote lead of the amp. If you go with an aftermarket deck and a wire harness adapter you it will be as simple as matching colors.