New to the car modding thing.

Mach1Run

Jun 25, 2004
Wylie, Texas
I have a 97 v6 coupe that I bought as my first car when i started college. Until now, it has remained bone stock except for recently replacing the tape deck for a CD player. Now I have the time and interest to try and make it some thing a little different than all the other mustangs in town, but I have zero experience working on cars beyond changing my oil.

I would like to learn to do as much of the mod work myself rather than drop it off at the shop and have it done so any DIY projects you can suggest would be very welcome.

I dont know if this is the correct way to do a project like this but my plan was to start with the air intake and maybe the exhuast since it seems like the car will need to breathe well to get the most out of just about any other engne mods. I also thought about getting some underdrive pulleys but almost all i can find are sets for the v8.

My goal in building up the car is not to create a drag car but something that has a nice sound ( through side ported exhuast, i love the way that looks :D ), and enough handling and response to be alot of fun to drive.

Thank you in advance for your input.

• Sponsors (?)

OK, so you've decided to improve your 'Stang. I like that. Modding costs money though. Now, I want to warn you that it can add up pretty quick. You can spend $2g's in less than 5 minutes.
So, here is my input.
-An ASP pulley is cheap and effective and you can get one at www.aspracing.com (you will need a different belt with that). This is DIY.
-People argue about cold air intakes if they produce more HP or not, but most have them. Mac is the most popular brand I believe. This is DIY.
-Suspension. If you want a nice handling and looking car you will have to change springs. When you change your springs it is highly recommended to do struts/shocks. Here you have a larger selection of manufacturers. This can be DIY, but you might run into problems if you are inexperienced or not mechanicly inclined.
-Wheels and tires. This will be a performance benefit working great with a modded suspension. Plus, it improves looks.
-Exhaust. This should be done at a shop because you need true dual exhuast which requires welding and cuting of pipes.
-Rear end gears and T-lok. This is one of the better mods as it will give you a better start and have both of your rear wheels spinning. However, this should be done only by a professional. Use only Ford gears and T-lok.
-Engine work. This is where you can experiment (at your own risk). You can take your engine apart and do some machining work. You can also change a few components as in cam and roller rockers. If you are interested in these you can check out www.rpm-mustangs.com

So, that's the basics. All of the above would cost about $3,000+. Enjoy.

Ok another question. What is the best way to clean up then engine bay and components short of pulling the engine out? It doesnt seem right to invest in nice shiny new pieces and put em in a engine bay that has nearly 7 years of use. Sticking the garden hose in there just seems like a bad plan offhand.

Greensix said:
Ok another question. What is the best way to clean up then engine bay and components short of pulling the engine out? It doesnt seem right to invest in nice shiny new pieces and put em in a engine bay that has nearly 7 years of use. Sticking the garden hose in there just seems like a bad plan offhand.
I use Simple Green, Engine Degreaser. Works like a charm. Spray the engine when it's cold with water, spray the simple green, let it sit for about 5 mins then wash off. Repeat if necessary.

you can do things two ways preformance or looks unless yu got too much money then one person should be allowed to have... you should get all fayst den makez itz lewkz gewdz