New to this forum, and need some advice

Hey there,
I'm a young enthusiast getting a 67 or a 68 mustang. I have one quick question though, a family friend (who is also an enthusiast) says that the mustangs back then had a problem with rear end collisions cause of the design of the gas tank. Now, the one im about to buy is practically stock, so, what would you guys suggest I do to improve the situation.
Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

the divider plate helps as does the tank armour that is sold(an 11 gauge metal shell that bolts in over the stock tank). but consider that millions of cars were sold with this same tank design and location, and very few of these cars have had problems with fire in a rear end collision. build the car as you see fit though, and make it as safe as you feel you need. i personally plan to install the tank armour style system on all my cars, only to prevent tank punctures from things i might carry in the trunk(remember that the top of the tank is also the trunk floor).

Hey there,
I'm a young enthusiast getting a 67 or a 68 mustang. I have one quick question though, a family friend (who is also an enthusiast) says that the mustangs back then had a problem with rear end collisions cause of the design of the gas tank. Now, the one im about to buy is practically stock, so, what would you guys suggest I do to improve the situation.
Thanks in advance.

I installed the Tank Armor in my '65 and my son put it in his '68.

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/26763/

You could, but I don't think it would look right with the turn signal hood. You'd have to get the paint redone and being a silver like that, it probably wouldn't match. That would mean feathering most of the hood or the whole hood and the tops of the fenders. Even plain old white can be tough to match.

Hey guys, I went to check out that stang today, and it was a rip off. Baisically he tried to make it look good but it wasn't. He painted over the rust i guess, cause when i felt down in the trunk's quarter panels and pulled my hand out it was all orangish (rust colored). The paint job was horrible, you could see the un evenness of it, it had a bunch of bubbles in it, like they didn't smooth it out before painting. Then, he had warmed up the engine before we came and loosened the gas pedal i guess. It had a 289 in it but i simply had to rest my foot on the pedal and it just flored. The trunk wouldn't close right, and the doors were so hard to open. We then found another one in san jose that same day to compare a little, and we liked that better but we decided to shop around more down here in so cal before we make a decision.

I never read this thread until now, but if you look close at how the doors lineup with the fenders and quarters you can tell something is up with the body. Mine's been wrecked several times and they lineup better than that!

<b>65ShelbyClone</b>: <i>noticed they painted over the trunk chrome.</I>

If you are talking about the upper chrome bezel it doesn't look like it is installed too me.

Hey guys! I'm So excited, my parents went behind my back and bought me a stang a 66 though. I still love it, its in great condition, needs some basic work but thats all. I was wondering if you guys could tell me some of the differences between the 66 and the 67's (pics to come)
The car is completly original. The guy had it since 68 and has garaged it and kept it well maintained since. It is pearl white with a red interior. Original engine, (needs a tune up) original transmission, original interior, but not original paint. It was painted about 5 years ago. The trunk is carpeted. I'm looking for the look below.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l242/suki243/04.jpg

It looks like i need to get the cowler hoods, the front skirt, and side scoops, and rims and fog lights.

Hey guys! I'm So excited, my parents went behind my back and bought me a stang a 66 though. I still love it, its in great condition, needs some basic work but thats all. I was wondering if you guys could tell me some of the differences between the 66 and the 67's (pics to come)
The car is completly original. The guy had it since 68 and has garaged it and kept it well maintained since. It is pearl white with a red interior. Original engine, (needs a tune up) original transmission, original interior, but not original paint. It was painted about 5 years ago. The trunk is carpeted. I'm looking for the look below.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l242/suki243/04.jpg

It looks like i need to get the cowler hoods, the front skirt, and side scoops, and rims and fog lights.

I know ur young...and im young as well....do consider you just got an all original car, which are hard to find.....you might not wanna do anything to it that cant be returned to stock

Yeah, I really love the fact that it's stock, but there are a few things that i think i need to take care of, 1. retuning the engine, 2. getting at least the 3 point seat belts 3. smaller steering wheel (I'm 6ft tall and I can't get to the brake pedal without hitting the steering wheel with my knee) 4. Disk brakes 5. The tank armor and the steel plate between the passenger seats and the trunk compartment

Also, the car has power steering (aftermarket i guess) and it works, but when i was driving it yesterday it felt like the wheel could keep on turning and turning and it wouldn't come back to place after i would let go of it, i had to turn it back to center. When I drove the two 67's in San Jose tehy both had power steering and both would come back to place after i would let go. Anyone know why?