New weight.

When I purchased my Mustang as a factory AODE car I weighed it with the only modafications done is removal of the air silencer and K&N which were already done. I weighed the car to get a baseline of what I weighed when I started modiying it. The car weighed 3,420lbs without me in it. I have removed only a few items (swaybar, strut tower brace, smog stuff and a few misc items) and just converted to a Tremec w/ the Heavy SFI B/H and aluminum D/S. Now the car weighs 3280lbs without me in it.

Now the question I have is, atm I have a set of 245/45's on the factory Tri Bars. What do you think a Realistic weight reduction would be with something like 275-295/50/15s and 195R15 skinnies on a set of Draglights - 15x8-10 rear 15x3.5 up front?

• Sponsors (?)

10-15 pounds per wheel would be my guess. It may be even more, but I know you would lose at least 10 pounds per wheel.

I'm confused on your weights. First your car weighed 3420, and after the swap the car weighed 3280? Did the automatic have bricks in the pan when you weighed it? You don't lose 140 pounds by swapping out an AODE. I'm not bashing, I just noticed that something isn't quite right. Either your first reading was too high, or your second one is too low. My guess is that the second reading is wrong.

Joe

Joes95GT said:
I'm confused on your weights. First your car weighed 3420, and after the swap the car weighed 3280? Did the automatic have bricks in the pan when you weighed it? You don't lose 140 pounds by swapping out an AODE. I'm not bashing, I just noticed that something isn't quite right. Either your first reading was too high, or your second one is too low. My guess is that the second reading is wrong.

Joe

Don't forget I removed a few items... (swaybar, strut tower brace, smog stuff and a few misc items). My tank was just below 1/4 on the first weigh in and it was just above the E on the second. I did forget to mention the removal of the spare tire and jack as well. Other then that the scales are certified. I still have a few more things I want to lose off the car. My goal is 3000 without me in it but would even hope for 3000 with me in it but don't see it happening without stripping interior etc which I wont be doing. Worst case is a decent set of light weight adjustable front seats.

Thanks for the replies and keep the estimates coming in. :)

Adrenalin said:
Don't forget I removed a few items...

You can bet on a good 80 lb loss for the tranny swap. A typical T5 weighs right in at 75 lbs (just the tranny, not the clutch, pressure plate, pedal assembly, etc). A AODE tips the scales at 150 lbs plus another 34 lbs for the converter. So a swap from auto to stick is going to net you somewhere around 75-90 lbs of loss, maybe more if you go with lightweight clutch components (aluminum flywheel for example). With all the other goodies, I can see it adding up to about 140 lbs.

Good luck on the diet Adrenalin. I started out at 3260. That´s a non-optioned 5-spd 95 GTS with all the junk (spare, jack, etc), 1/4 tank of gas, no driver, and the only mod being a SS Bassani catback.

Since then, I´ve added an o/r Bassani SS x-pipe, tubular k-member and A-arms, coilovers (front and rear), aluminum LCA´s, and probably another 50 lbs of misc crap. I havençt had it weighed recently, but I´m guessing she´s sitting around the 3050-3100 mark. Aluminum heads and block ought to drop me well into the 2900-3000 mark, even accounting for a power adder.

My final goal is to be sub 3000 lbs. I´ll settle for 3000 with me and around 2 gallons of gas or 3000 without me and a full tank. We´ll see...

Good luck to you.

yea, i kinow you can drop about 65-80lbs depending on wheel/tire size, by switching from 17" wheels to Prostars. Prostars and Draglights are probably very close in weight.

I had 17x9 polishing aluminium Cobra R's on 245x45's up front and 275x40's out back.

Dropped 70-71lbs

baglock1 said:
...Good luck on the diet Adrenalin. I started out at 3260. That´s a non-optioned 5-spd 95 GTS with all the junk (spare, jack, etc), 1/4 tank of gas, no driver, and the only mod being a SS Bassani catback....
...My final goal is to be sub 3000 lbs. I´ll settle for 3000 with me and around 2 gallons of gas or 3000 without me and a full tank. We´ll see...

Good luck to you.

Thanks :) , Mine is a full option car so I have a huge disadvantage :bang: (I won't give up tho!!! :D

Good luck on yours bro I think you will probably hit it with no problem! :nice:

Oinkaodeoink said:
yea, i kinow you can drop about 65-80lbs depending on wheel/tire size, by switching from 17" wheels to Prostars. Prostars and Draglights are probably very close in weight.
I had 17x9 polishing aluminium Cobra R's on 245x45's up front and 275x40's out back.
Dropped 70-71lbs

Thanks for the info. I was planning on keeping the wheels but not sure if I am going to sell them or not to cover the cost of Draglites...decisions decisions :shrug:

Thanks fellas
Adrenalin