Newbie 1970 Coupe - Rebuild

Republic70

Apr 10, 2024
California
Hey All,
I'm trying to bring my first car, 1970 Coupe, back to life again. I have had the engine rebuilt a couple of times. It's been sitting for a couple of years and trying to get it to turnover. I replaced the battery and tried putting some gas in the gas tank and started her up and she wants to start but won't fully turn over. If that makes sense. Any help would be great. Trying to do it myself this time.

• Sponsors (?)

an engine needs air, fuel and spark to run, if you have some starting fluid spray around you can eliminate some possibilities, if there's any chance of the car starting, it'll fire with the starting fluid, if it starts and then dies, you've probably got an ignition problem or bad fuel, not too surprising if the car's been sitting, make sure all of your ignition components are shiny, clean, and tight, if you have ignition points, figure out how to set them correctly

Reactions: 1 user
Right, I would start with a dwell meter to set your points with
Check the breaker plate for being loose which makes the points bounce all over the place
Take a gas sample and make sure it is volatile. Make sure / be confident it will singe your face if you try to light a BBQ grille with the stuff