Nick's "lvndpst" Restoration (and Slight Modification) Thread

Not leaving it black. If my car wasnt already two toned, I would be doing a Mach 1 style hood decal of some color. But since it is, the scoop will be body color. I think it will end up just the subtle change I was looking for.

• Sponsors (?)

I vote " no " to changing the way the scoop sits. I like the black cowl vents...it ties in the windshield trim. Since that scoop doesn't actually go all the way to the hood body lines I think it would look good body color...but I'm no body man.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't trim that scoop Jeeves. The pic you posted of the red car is an optical illusion against the horizon. No other pic of that scoop looks as big as that view angle makes it , so consider the one to be abby-normal.

Besides,..if you trim the mounting base away, what is gonna be left for the two sided tape to stick to?

On a related note,....You have the same thing going in reverse that I do. (A different cowl color) If I was painting stuff (and I could paint)...I'd do it this way:
1983_00018_01-jpg.571158.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Leave it as is, body color, and 2-sided-tape the bish down. That's my un-solicited opinion.

Thats the plan, Stan. Except I am going to move it a few inches forward from where I have it in the pic I posted. I think it looks a little better that way. More of an engine bulge than a rearward "cowl." Some may not like it that way, but its not going on an '83, so Im not worried about it looking like an '83.

Small subject to post about. Way back in da day I deleted the center console in my '95 GT. I really liked the muscle car feel, and it was nice getting rid of the rattles of that cheap thing. I was on the edge of doing it to the '89, but decided to just go with the Hurst console shifter instead. I will be changing the knob to a black one of some sort, but threw the white on since it came with the kit.

Before: (Floppy whale penis)

ec1a8509120cc317973d4bbc747a1965_zpsxamsr4nb.jpg

After:

20161229_174918_zpsxfprhp2w.jpg

To me, it cleans its up. I just wish the console plate didnt have the Hurst logo, but turns out it is molded into the plastic.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Small subject to post about. Way back when I deleted the center console in my '95 GT. I really liked the muscle car feel, and it was nice getting rid of the rattles of that cheap thing. I was on the edge of doing it to the '89, but decided to just go with the Hurst console shifter instead. I will be changing the knob to a black one of some sort, but threw the white on since it came with the kit.

Before: (Floppy whale penis)

ec1a8509120cc317973d4bbc747a1965_zpsxamsr4nb.jpg

After:

20161229_174918_zpsxfprhp2w.jpg

To me, it cleans its up. I just wish the console plate didnt have the Hurst logo, but turns out it is molded into the plastic.
I like it Nick, it looks really nice to me:nice:

Before I slapped the wheels on, I decided to weigh them.

Stock turbines with tires:

20161231_122615_zpsenmkd0pq.jpg

18X9" 2010 GT replica wheel and tire:

20161231_122711_zpsdhihk2ph.jpg

18X10" 2010 GT replica wheel and tire:

20161231_122905_zpsf4fkvxib.jpg

I am not all that concerned with the weight, as I will not be tracking this car at all.

When I went to bolt the wheels on, the rears hit the tail pipes (I already ditched the quads for now). So I got out my BFH, and did some beating. These are still the factory tails, and they showed their age on the driver's side, lol.

20161231_123859_zpsi6suixkz.jpg

Annnnnnnd, the moment of truth. The stance:

20161231_132605_resized_zpscpzrramn.jpg

20161231_132531_resized_zpsivs2c6mg.jpg

I cut a coil off the front springs while I had it all apart, and wanted to set it down before doing anything with the rears. I like where the front is, so I now I just need to try to match the rear, or leave it up slightly in relation to the front. The Ebrake doesnt bite at all, so I need to tighten up the drums. I also need to order lug nuts. If you look closely, I only have 3 lug luts on each wheel, lol. Its not being driven anywhere, I only backed into the street in front of my house to snap a few pics in the daylight. So next order of business is cutting the rear springs, and adjusting the drums. Nice to have the fronts turn out well on the first try.

Reactions: 7 users
Since the car really needs new rear shocks (you can see how rusty they are in the exhaust pipe pic), I am considering rear coilovers. I really like where the front is, and it would be nice to have the adjustability on the rear to get it just right.

Wheels look great buddy.
Coil overs and new tail pipes would be sweet :)

It needs all new exhaust. Its factory stock from front to back, with the exception of "super turbo" mufflers welded in, and has rusted from the inside out. I should have snapped a picture after I had the car up to temp and gave it a couple revs, a lot of rust chunks blew out of the tails after I had beat on them with a hammer. The undercarriage needs a lot of work. Its caked in gravel dust, and hasnt been touched for 28 years. My wife and I have been working to eliminate our debt, and come October this year we will be in a good place where I will be more able to spend more freely on getting the car up to snuff.

Reactions: 2 users
It needs all new exhaust. Its factory stock from front to back, with the exception of "super turbo" mufflers welded in, and has rusted from the inside out. I should have snapped a picture after I had the car up to temp and gave it a couple revs, a lot of rust chunks blew out of the tails after I had beat on them with a hammer. The undercarriage needs a lot of work. Its caked in gravel dust, and hasnt been touched for 28 years. My wife and I have been working to eliminate our debt, and come October this year we will be in a good place where I will be more able to spend more freely on getting the car up to snuff.
Yeah,...well until then, we dont need to see your dirty bottom.

Reactions: 1 users