nitrous advice

zkillrr

Dec 22, 2004
Memphis.Tn
Well I have been considering a 100 shot dry kit from Zex. Every post I have read so far says its a easy install. My car might have a 160000 miles on it if that matters, what I can say is that it pull strong and has no leaks what so ever. I bought the car about four years ago, when the tach was working it showed 120000 on it; I would have to say at most I drove the car maybe 8000 miles a year. Has nice power just want something extra at my will. Any advice on the
Do's and don'ts, yea or na, check this or that, or you will be good to go base on what we have read. If I left anything out let me Know. Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

First thing I would do is a compression test on your engine to see if it is as good as you think. Second thing is I wouldnt really run more then a 75 shot. People tell you that you can run up to 125 shot but more then likely you will have to rebuild your engine within the next 3-5 years.

I dont know how much the msd box and the adjustable timing control is, but you can also get a tuning device like the Tweecer. that way you can control your AFR to. You may want to back your fuel pressure like 2 lbs or so while spraying, with the Tweecer you'll be able to do the same from inside the car, plus if you ever do H/C/I swap you'll be set also

Before I got the tweecerR/T with the bottle I ran a MSD digital6+. It has a feature that if you power (12v) a wire it activates a retard that you set with a dial on the side of the box. As in wire that wire for the MSD box to the main 12v bottle "on" switch and the box will take out the timing for the n2o.

With this you can run the 14* or whatever you run best at off the bottle N/A, and when you want to spray the msd is wired to already take the timing out. Kinda best of both worlds. If you have it wired to the master n2o on switch then there is also no chance of mistake to take out timing.

If your planning on getting a msd box anyway might want to check out that model. They are around 300$ though.

I have the 6al I don't think it has that on it, I will check when I get home , at any rate I know the one you are talking about will be a good investment Any thought on the window switch?

In that case you can buy the timing retard module for around $100 IIRC. You can retard the timing up to 15*. Should be plenty to play around with.

I would start with the 75 shot. Run it for a while... THEN move up. Learn what your car likes and doesn't like... BEFORE going to the bigger shot.

Looks like you have the bigger injectors, but do you have bigger fuel pump as well? :shrug:

You can get an MSD window switch..

Not to steal the thread but just a quick question...where do you tap into the tach for the window switch?

I have my tach and window switch running off the tach drive/output on the msd box (I now run a 6al). If you have a msd box you can just run the wire to the tach output plug. The msd box is 99.999 or something accurate so I fig. there is little to no room for error going straight from the msd box.

In that case you can buy the timing retard module for around $100 IIRC. You can retard the timing up to 15*. Should be plenty to play around with.

I would start with the 75 shot. Run it for a while... THEN move up. Learn what your car likes and doesn't like... BEFORE going to the bigger shot.

Looks like you have the bigger injectors, but do you have bigger fuel pump as well? :shrug:

Sorry but I don't have the bigger fuel pump, but plan on getting one. It would be so great to squeeze by with out one for a while, hint hint

I really wouldnt go any higher then a 75 with the stock fuel pump...The 75 shot will work for you and give you time to save up for a bigger fuel pump and then you can move on if you want to go higher, even though I myself really wouldnt recommend it