nitrous question

stang723

Jan 3, 2003
houston, texas
Can anyone help.............................What is the best, safest, AND CHEAPEST nitrous system. I have no experience with nitrous, so easy and safe would be a top priority :D , (so wet or dry), but can someone point out a good place to get a cheap nitrous kit(what brand)? thanks alot.

Oh and what accesories are NECESSARY to have along with the nitrous system?

• Sponsors (?)

Used Zex System (dry).

A dry system is the safest to go with (no intake backfires), and easiest to install by far.

Keep an eye out on the classifieds, there's always someone out there with a kit for sale.

nothing extra is required, but for safety, i'd get a purge valve, and for performance, get a bottle heater.

I used a dry zex kit a year back.... It was a great kit.. Very simple install and safe.

I recomend getting a bottle warmer and a aftermarket rev limiter (MSD/Crane).. You could also go with a window switch to control the rpm's it sprays at. You just DO NOT want to hit the stock rev limiter while spraying, cause it pulls fuel and sparking just n20 will create a major lean condition...

I have a stock 01 GT except for a full exhaust. Can i safely put a 100 shot? Wouldn't i have to up the fuel pressure or anything, should i do it wet or dry? Thanks alot for your help, im not planning on keeping the car for more than two years so i just want some easy power. Anything else i should keep in mind like, spark plug gapping, or fuel octane? Thanks a lot

yomny said:
I have a stock 01 GT except for a full exhaust. Can i safely put a 100 shot? Wouldn't i have to up the fuel pressure or anything, should i do it wet or dry? Thanks alot for your help, im not planning on keeping the car for more than two years so i just want some easy power. Anything else i should keep in mind like, spark plug gapping, or fuel octane? Thanks a lot

You should be fine with a 100 shot on your car. I would run a little cooler plugs, at least premium gas, and back of on your timing a bit just to be safe. With that you should be fine.

i picked up a used NOS kit from a buddy of mine. grand total after everything 345..not bad. I bought a RPM window switch an WOT sensor.. the blocks got some miles on her so i wanted a safe, system w/ lots of failsafe devices..F/P drops ,nitrous shuts off, if the throttle blade is not WOT, nitrous kicks off, nitrous only fires in a chosen rpm w/ the system armed...lots of safety stuff.

i'm runnin a wet kit, its only a small 100 shot but i may move up when i see what she's gonna do at the track, but i need to run bigger injectors, colder plugs, an bigger FP if an when i do.

HP is horse power IMO through N/A, blowers, nitrous, turbocharging... those who say its cheating are obviously afraid or lack the conviction to do it..is a blast, its as safe as any other power adder..your car's gonna fly an you'll LOVE it... :nice:

how would i go about retarding the timing? How much should i retard it to run 100 shot, what plugs should i get, do you have the sparkplug number? Thanks a lot for your responses.

how would i go about retarding the timing? How much should i retard it to run 100 shot, what plugs should i get, do you have the sparkplug number? Thanks a lot for your responses.

Just get a timning light and turn the distributer until its at 8 degrees. Generally you want about 8 degrees of timing for a 100 shot, but you can prob get away with more..Up to you if you want to try..

I forget the number of the plug to get. But you want one range cooler, usually .30-.35 gap. Dont use any fancy plug (ie bosch), just use autolites.

I vote for Zex as well. Wanna see #s? Check my sig. Zex is only a WOT kit. No need for as much safety extras. While I'm running an AODE so it's a bit easier. I don't have a rev limiter at all. I manual shift most of the time and haven't had but one problem with it not shifting in time. Made for one HELLUVA nice second gear scratch though. lol

Also I ran 100 shot bone stock (dropped timing a tad and got colder plugs and gapped them around .35. I highly recommend an adjustable fuel regulator if you want to spray 125 shot.

so if i wanna run just 100 shot, will i need to bump up the fuel pressure? or just retarding timing and changing the plugs will do? Thanks a lot for your help, i really appreciate your time.

so if i wanna run just 100 shot, will i need to bump up the fuel pressure? or just retarding timing and changing the plugs will do? Thanks a lot for your help, i really appreciate your time.

With a zex kit you wont have to. It has a "NMU" which is vacuum activated, like an FMU, and it bumps the fuel pressure when at WOT..

Im not sure on the other kits. What kit do you plan on using?

yellow1995Cobra said:
With a zex kit you wont have to. It has a "NMU" which is vacuum activated, like an FMU, and it bumps the fuel pressure when at WOT..

Right... it does it to an extent... I found it pinging on the 125 shot. We tried dropping the timing down to like 4 and it just didn't run quite right. Put an adjustable regulator in and fixed the problem. I'm actually running around 7* now and I think I could push it a little higher without problems now that I have the injectors.

As far as where to get a cheap kit. eBay is always a good place. All ZEX dry kits are the same for all cars. The different kits they advertise is because they have different length hoses. I bought the proper one for mine and I have about 6 feet too much. My buddy bought one off a guy that had it on his little import. It fit just fine.

I'm interested to see if anyone has tried their "wet" kit. I don't know anyone running it. :shrug: I just have 5 buddies running the Zex Dry kits.

so to go with a 100 shot i should get the ZEX kit with the vaccum line to increase fuel pressure, get colder plugs and retard the timing to 8. The normal timing mark should be at 10 correct? Don't wanna use any more than 100 so wth the previous mentioned things i should be good? How much will the clutch hold and when it does go which one do you guys recommend using? Thanks

so to go with a 100 shot i should get the ZEX kit with the vaccum line to increase fuel pressure, get colder plugs and retard the timing to 8. The normal timing mark should be at 10 correct? Don't wanna use any more than 100 so wth the previous mentioned things i should be good? How much will the clutch hold and when it does go which one do you guys recommend using? Thanks

Yes that is correct. ZEX + Cold plugs + retard timing. The stock timing is 10 degrees. Just mark the harmonic balancer at the 8 degree mark with some white out. Then use the timing light..

Im not sure about the clutch since ive never had a stockone. Most people around here like the SPEC clutchs.

I vote for a window switch, a fuel pressure safety switch and a bottle warmer.

run it only at optimum bottle pressure and make sure you have plenty in the bottle :)

run colder plugs gapped low 30s and retard timing

all these things will make for a happy motor

yomny said:

Yes, that is a safe bet. I dont know if you have one already, but the only other thing I added was a fuel pump. Besides that, you should be good to go.

Unless you have slicks, the tires will be the first to go. Mine just spin and spin on the stock clutch and now a king cobra (replaced because of Throwout bearing). But once you hook up at the track on slicks is probably when the clutch bears the grunt of it. Good Luck!

yomny, You have an 01GT, the Zex dry kit will not work on your vehicle due to the returnless fuel system. The Zex kit is designed to work on the return type fuel systems. In addition, you cannot retard your timing with the distributor simply because your car does not have one. Do a search on the modular forum to get some more info on your car prior to throwing a power adder at it...thats a recipe for disaster.