no intank fuel pump!!

ib_steed

Aug 13, 2003
Sunnyvale, CA
Here's one for you guys... Will an external fuel pump (near the tank) work without an intank pump? My concern is that the fuel might leak back into the tank from the pump and leave it dry for the next start. Anyone know for sure if this is a problem or not. My '75 has no intank pump.

Thanks,
-Ryan

• Sponsors (?)

ib_steed said:
Here's one for you guys... Will an external fuel pump (near the tank) work without an intank pump? My concern is that the fuel might leak back into the tank from the pump and leave it dry for the next start. Anyone know for sure if this is a problem or not. My '75 has no intank pump.

Thanks,
-Ryan
yeah they were mechanical up until 87. Are you talking about switching to an eletric pump or are you just concerned about the pump you have?

Pretty much every pump that I've seen has a one-way check valve to prevent the gas from going back to the tank. Sometimes they go bad but the vehicle still runs fine. On an electric pump a good way to tell is hook up a pressure gauge and turn the key on and then off the fuel system should hold some pressure.