Resolved No Spark

Threads that have been [Resolved] by the OP or Moderator

Stock90Notch

Feb 23, 2024
NC/IL
Been on this form and YouTube for the past 2 days looking though all similar items.

Recently bought a 90 Notch, smog delete, header, intake.

What happened:

I buy the car in NC no issues, drive it around for a few months, drive it to IL. After about 2k miles I change the Oil.

*I pulled the coil plug off to reach down to pull the filter. Finished oil change no issues, I go to crank it and I hear a loud snap. I look and realized I forgot to put the coil wire back on. I put it back on and cranks no spark.

I’ve spent the next few days with a meter and incandescent test light checking everything.

Checklist:
Coil: 12.5V on both sides, no pulse with incandescent test light on “negative side”

TFI:
PIP probe- 12.5V key on, when grounding the test light to show tower and probing the pip I get spark.

Spout- 12.5V key on

Start- 12.5V when cranking

Run- 12.5 key on

Fuel:
Fuel pump kicks on at during key on
Back probe injectors, 12.5V both sides no pulse during crank with test light.

All other electronics work in the vehicle.

• Sponsors (?)

Coil is fine, I have an OEM and and the OEM style MSD. I was sent the following video of how to test the TFI.

View: https://youtu.be/WHsm4LKiCh8?si=4y1gTTOCX3NP2HU0

I pulled the distributor as the video suggested and still no spark. Had a general idea it might be something along the lines of TFI and EEC relay.

Pulled the computer to make sure nothing was fried, everything checked out, poets 46,40,60 had continuity on ground side. All other resistors and diodes had solid solder still.

Got a new distributor (same price as buying or finding a TFI and did the test with it on the hood, still no spark.

Plugged the new EEC relay in and rotated the distributor and got spark.

Tried old distributor with new eec - no spark

Posting bc all the research I’ve done nothing came up with this combo of broken parts.

started right up. Threw check engine light.

Weird.. I pulled the IAC off while it was idling. It killed the engine. Plugged it back in and it’s been running great since. No codes no check engine light. Thanks to this sight for the past 2 decades of informantion
389B3678-9C9A-4FD6-96F3-ECCDE306A88C.jpeg