NORTHEAST BOOST/ HIGH COMPRESSION GUYS BEWARE (others may be effected too)

Dan_Soprano

Mod Dude
May 7, 2003
Jacksonville, FL
Hey guys, just got this email from my tuner. I don't know much about production of Gasoline, so don't shoot me if something is wrong here, just passing the word. Any help from the board experts would me much appreciated:

Dan, we're seeing some wierd stuff with the new ethanol blended fuel that is now coming out. I've been seeing cars detonate on the dyno that never did before. Be very careful right now, I would pull 2 more degrees out of your timing and add about 6% wot fuel until we get to the bottom of this. 93 octane used to be the mbte stuff but now that has been banned and they're using a blend of ethanol that may make the car run leaner. I can also send you an updated tune but for right now you can take it out of your handheld.

Pete

• Sponsors (?)

that sucks, I suppose if your car blows up that the gas company has "too hard to reads" that make them not responsible for changes in the gas and dammages to your vehicle.

down here Ive been running 93 with my "safe" tune and it still pings. Ive pulled timing back and upped the WOT Fuel and its still there, albeit not near as bad as it used to be. Wonder if crappy fuel is the culprit? :shrug:

The problem with the ethonol blended fuels is not octane. Ethonol actually raises the octane (now I'm not sure if the 93 octane rating is done considering this) The problem is that ethonols stoich point is much richer than gasoline. So basically if you run ethonol, you have to run richer to get the same effect.

jstreet0204 said:
The problem with the ethonol blended fuels is not octane. Ethonol actually raises the octane (now I'm not sure if the 93 octane rating is done considering this) The problem is that ethonols stoich point is much richer than gasoline. So basically if you run ethonol, you have to run richer to get the same effect.

Ethanol, E85, 85% ethanol 15% unleaded has 33% less energy by volume. Meaning you need to run 33% more gas to get the same power output as straight unleaded. Wait until this E85 takes off and people have to fill up in 2/3rd's the time.

sunoco 94 is what i was useing around here too. recently all the stations only have 94, no more 94.:notnice:

i thought this ethenol thing might be a good thing from reading some other threads because it raises the octain.

i just dont get it, if it raises the octain then why are you guys starting to detonate? wtf:mad: