Off-Road H-pipe and Stock Mufflers

PHINS

Aug 23, 2005
Anybody have this set-up? If so, what do you think? I'm going to give it a try. Got the pipe and updated tune in from brenspeed today. I'll post up when I've got it on.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

That actually sounds like it would work pretty well. Since the O/R H-Pipes seem to make many of the aftermarket mufflers TOO loud, I'm predicting that it'll sound good with the stockers. Just a guess. Can't wait to hear it.

i have O/R X-Pipe with stock mufflers and it sounds really nice... i just want it to be a little louder and look better, ill prob go with flows....

the O/R X-Pipe with SLP's was just wayyyyyyyyy tooo loud and didnt even sound good, more like a plane comin down the road.. i set off 4 car alarms within the week i had it and my friends could hear me comin from 4-5 blocks away. whatever anyone does, DONT DO THAT
-mike

bleedingvayneAD said:
I still can't wait to hear what my SLPs will sound like with the O/R h-pipe.

bleedin.... remember, i was one of the other people on here who said i ordered the same thing. u posted the Pypes O/R h-pipe clip, and then I ordered the X-Pipe.... i replied to you and told u this.

i remember u sayin u were goin to wait and i threw it on the first day i got it (somethin like dec 20th)

it is really really really loud man, like not good loud
-mike

Yeah, i do remember. But you got the x-pipe, which generally gives exhausts a little bit higher-pitched sound. I'm thinking that the SLPs with the h-pipe won't be as obnoxious (I know it will be loud as hell). I want loud, and I think the h-pipe will do a better job of keeping the SLP tone without making it so loud that it is horrible sounding. On another forum a guy had the same SLP and Pypes O/R h-pipe combo and said that it sounded like a tractor (which was a good thing) around town and then when he got on it all hell broke loose (yet another good thing). I'm only 20 years old, and I know you are young too Mike, but loud is what I want. I can't wait to make all the annoying high school kids with their srt-4s and plymouth lasers deaf and have their cars blow-up when I rev next to them...

I currently am running the pypes off road H with stock muff's. It's loud, but not too loud. I will eventually get some Flow's to deepen the sound a bit.

The o/r h pipe w/ stock muff's isn't too much louder than stock at idle but once you step on it, it roars. You won't regret going this route. You can definitely hear the car comming from quite some distance. And you can always upgrade the muffs to get that exact sound you're looking for.

Check out http://www.brenspeed.com/ and click on the sound file tab. He has recordings of the o/r h pipe with various kinds of muffs including the stock ones.

Thanks for responses guys. I listened to the brespeed clip, which is why I went the way I did. But sound clips just are not the same as hearing for yourself. It should be on tomorrow.

bleedingvayneAD said:
Yeah, i do remember. But you got the x-pipe, which generally gives exhausts a little bit higher-pitched sound. I'm thinking that the SLPs with the h-pipe won't be as obnoxious (I know it will be loud as hell). I want loud, and I think the h-pipe will do a better job of keeping the SLP tone without making it so loud that it is horrible sounding. On another forum a guy had the same SLP and Pypes O/R h-pipe combo and said that it sounded like a tractor (which was a good thing) around town and then when he got on it all hell broke loose (yet another good thing). I'm only 20 years old, and I know you are young too Mike, but loud is what I want. I can't wait to make all the annoying high school kids with their srt-4s and plymouth lasers deaf and have their cars blow-up when I rev next to them...

yes then u will get the sound u want.. to me personally, it is loud as hell... but does not sound all that great.

i remember u are young also, im only 18, the cops wanted me for the week... they tried settin up traps and everything, radio-ing in other cars, it was bad.

but u will get that loud u want
-mike

I had the Pypes O/R H pipe with stock mufflers for a short time. It was LOUD and just didn't sound all that great. Really needs a muffler designed for a system without cats or a resonator in front of the mufflers to deepen the sound. To me it sounded like part of the exhaust system was missing. Sounded "cheap".

Mike06_10pm said:
i have O/R X-Pipe with stock mufflers and it sounds really nice... i just want it to be a little louder and look better, ill prob go with flows....
-mike
nobody likes the o/r x with flows. it sounds raspy.

Mike06_10pm said:
i remember u are young also, im only 18, the cops wanted me for the week... they tried settin up traps and everything, radio-ing in other cars, it was bad.

but u will get that loud u want
-mike
Wanted by the cops? Were you goofing around with your car and just caught their attention? I know my car is going to be loud with the SLPs and O/R h-pipe, but I think I'll be able to control it enough around town.

Mike -- was your car louder at startup? I'm only curious because I live in a neighborhood and the car already is kinda loud at startup because of the SLPs, but does the O/R pipe make it a lot louder?

bleedingvayneAD said:
Wanted by the cops? Were you goofing around with your car and just caught their attention? I know my car is going to be loud with the SLPs and O/R h-pipe, but I think I'll be able to control it enough around town.

Mike -- was your car louder at startup? I'm only curious because I live in a neighborhood and the car already is kinda loud at startup because of the SLPs, but does the O/R pipe make it a lot louder?

You're car would be insanely loud with no cat's and no muff's, not saying that it would sound bad, but it will be very loud no doubt.

Cat's do more to dampen the sound than mufflers do. So it you have the SLP's with the stock H pipe imagine what your car would sound like if you doubled the decibals. That would probably give you a good idea of how loud the car would be without cats & SLP's.

bleedingvayneAD said:

my cops in my town which is only a mile big are pathetic so this was their biggest thing of the year(of course a joke but they made it seem that way)

yes the car is extremely loud at start up, especially now when its cold and it sits for a while. i was at my friends house and went to leave at 2 in the morning(hey, college break) and i woke up his family who was sleepin on the third floor of the house and my friend said the whole house was shaking.

...ok so then what is the best sounding mufflers to go with an o/r x-pipe? i will do headers in the long run so i want it to sound good with them also....
-mike

HAHA, now that is pretty funny.

I would go back to brenspeed and listen to some clips. I also remember a bunch of people not liking the flows with an O/R x. I still have my old JBA axle-back so I might put that on with the O/R h-pipe if my SLPs are too loud. Maybe you should try looking at some of the actual Pypes axle-backs because brenspeed says they are OK and plus they are pretty cheap. You could also try the JBA axle-backs especially if you choose JBA L/Ts and then get their O/R h-pipe as well. I have heard from several people that a full JBA exhaust sounds pretty mean.

I'll let you know in a month or so how the SLPs and O/R h-pipe sound.

I had a O/R H pipe with flows for about a month or so. It was loud, and I mean really loud and not the good type of loud. I would not recommend this setup to anyone. I switched to a O/R Prochamber and am much happier.