Off/Road -VS- High/Flow

lptheory96

Founding Member
Aug 10, 2002
Birmingham, Alabama
The Story: I got my 2-chamber flows put on today with my stcok h-pipe... well... Im very dissapointed. It's sooooo quite, You can hear a little more aggressiveness at maby a 35% increase in volume. So I HAVE to get rid of my cats or get some high flow ones.

The Question: O/R h-pipes (x-pipes would be the same) have never let me down as far as a sexy sounding, children scarring, oldpeople frowning exhaust. But my '04 is actually a nice daily driver with newish parts, I'd like to keep it legal and have a nice exhaust sound if I can, the o/r seems to always smell horrible, make teh exhaust sound liek its POPING or misfiring and then you need the MIL ellinators which I would think confusing the cpu would make the air fuel mixture not tune like it should, Im probally wrong though,

ANYWAY: Does a High flow catted h/x-pipe sound similar to a O/R H-X pipe or are they way off, How does a HIGH FLOW cat sys compare to a stock cat sys.

Thanks again for your help... (forgive:nono: all misspellings, im at work trying to type in between calls)

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah the flows are kinda quite by them selves, they will get louder and sound better when they break in though. I have an o/r x-pipe and it is insanley loud (wich is how I like it). Never heard a high flow mid pipe and the flows, so I can't tell you what that sounds like. My friend has an 04 GT that he gutted the cat's on the stock mid-pipe, it sounds great, alot louder and throatier, yet no where near the same volume as mine.

This is on my 01 f150 but I had a flowmaster on it and it was not loud at all. One of my cats went bad, so I had the 2 main cats removed and the 2 precats gutted my truck was alot louder and sounded tough. Ford tough. hahaha

HoustonGT said:
The cats will tone down the sound and smooth it out alot. Less raspiness and less popping

yup the cats will smoothen out the sound and it wont pop as much but in most cases it can cost you a few hp

I had a O/R Bassani X-pipe with C/B and sounded nice and loud raspy too took that off do to too many complaints form neighbors, tehn switch the two front legs for catted ones smothen the sound and raspiness but its still pretty loud