Off topic, 1949 Ford truck

stanmckinney

10 Year Member
Mar 30, 2005
I am a Mustang owner, always have been and always will be. However this question is about a 1949 Ford pickup, an F1 with a flathead V8. It was originally owned by my father and is now owned by my uncle who is willing to sell it to me.
He says the engine needs a rebuild.
Any idea as to what a rebuild would cost? I have had little luck so far finding someone who can rebuild it. I might add that I am not a mechanic.
I could add a late model V-8 and an automatic transmission. The truck has a three-speed. An automatic was not available in 1949.
Any idea as to the cost of putting in a rebuilt late model V-8 and transmission? I am assuming rebuilding the flathead is the cheapest way to go.
I have searched the internet many times and only have rough ideas.
Anyone have any experience with any of this and can provide some advice?
Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks. I did a quick search and found little on cost estimates. I posted the same questions on that forum.
I really just need some ballpark estimates. I too would prefer to keep the manual but arthritis and other problems pose some problems with that.
This truck will be a driver and actually used. No show truck here. I just want it reliable. Any advice, cost estimates would be greatly appreciated.

I would suggest going to some local parts stores and asking around. Not the chain stores (at first anyway). They usually know about what something like that would run. I used to have a '56 with about the same engine. I miss that 'ole gas hog. :D
I did rebuild the engine in that one, the sold the truck for a little more than twice what I paid for it.