Official Tremec 3650 Issues Thread

• Sponsors (?)

Mustanganatic,

Thank you for a answer that makes sence :)

I got the "bad" tranny.. but i've had no problems in Columbus, OH's two days that were below 40 degrees ourside in the morning... so we'll see..

I just took my car into the dealer for two problems:

1) Chatter in my transmission at idle. This is an intermittent problem.

2) 1-2 and 2-3 clunk when shiftting. I found this to be extremely repeatable if I unloaded the clutch after each try. I was also able to move the car if I took my foot off the brake before the shift. It's almost like the clutch plates are not fully seperating.

The dealer "fixed" #1 by lowering the fluid level. Now instead of a load clatter every once in awhile, I'm getting a softer clatter continually. I also found out that they will not fix #2 (with a new clutch?) until I run the 500 miles recommended for #1.

Ya i had the same problem, they did both the same to me wjgeorge, and tell me theres nothing they can do, i just droped the car off today, and said i did not want the car back till it gets fixed. So we will see what happens.

I was told by a rep with tremec that the clutch isnt disingaging enough, and a firewall and clutch qudrante, from steeda would do the fix, cause i guess theres alot of cable flex in the clutch cable, and just a little flex could mean your loosing pressure in the shifts, He said alot of people have done this and every person it fixes the problem. I just dont feel that i need to pay money to fix somthing on a brand new car.

Whinning Sound

Just curious, Does anyone else have a high pitch whinning sound as they approch 3000 RPMs in 1st thru 3rd?

I took it to the dealer because to me it sounds like a bearing going bad, but they said it's normal for these trannys.

Brian

I know this thread has been going on now for a while and we all have a bunch of problems with the 3650's. I have had my throwout bearings, clutch, fluid, shifter all changed. Oh yeah forgot to mention.... My second gear split in half. Yeah my mechanic said it was something he had never seen. The whole gear cracked right in 2. He told me that "It doesn't matter how hard you drive the car, this is not supposed to happen" Just another thing wrong with the 3650's

Heres a little update of my problem. I recently had my '03 Serviced and asked them to look at the transmission to see if anything was wrong. They looked it over and said nothing was wrong with it, but they did change the fluid and its never been better. It doesnt feel like its screwed up at all

wjgeorge

The dealer "fixed" #1 by lowering the fluid level. Now instead of a load clatter every once in awhile, I'm getting a softer clatter continually. I also found out that they will not fix #2 (with a new clutch?) until I run the 500 miles recommended for #1.

Let us know if it works. :rolleyes:

tranny wo's

New 03 Mach1 500 miles. This thing has clutch chatter and hates to engage third gear above 3500 R's.

Now I think back to my 70 mach1 thing ran balls out and shifetd awesome but trying to turn it or stop it was impossible above 90MPH.

My point, I knew what I was buying maybe its part of the nastalgia, Ya LOL.

Im gonna try the oil change and see what I get a lot of gear boxs run hydrolic oils these days sounds like solid advice. most run cooler for it.

What to do about the chatter in the clutch. A light burn out in reverse always cured it in the old days. For a while. Better pressure plate and a thicker thigh.
I hate to say it but, Its been this way from the beginning of street rodding. Too much torque at to little self control. The american way, aint it great to be free. You guys put out good info, Took long enough to get there,LOL but still posted results I can use.
Thanks

tranny problems

Thanks for the info I did the oil change itd di seem to improve noise and shifting from 2nd to 3rd. !st to 2nd seems to be less accurate now Ill have to drive it awhile and see wassup.

Any problems with AC engagment? My AC clutch seems to slam into activation and make a really loud clunk 1 in 5 times. If I turn on the AC when running over 2500 rpm. Man its scares the crap outa ya. Heard anything?

Well, I changed and lowered my fluid level about a month and a half ago and so far no cold grinding going on. the last few mornings have been cold enough too!!!! the rest of the stuff like slightly notchy feeling when shifting i'll just chalk up to it being the nature of the beast!! Great fix guys!!!!!

Glad to see someone is trying to make an organized effort at this. You can definitely add my name to this list. I am a 2001 Bullitt owner, and have the 1st to 2nd sticking bad with occassional grinding and also some minor 2nd to 3rd sticking. I really like my car, but this tranny issue makes me want to scream almost daily.

I haven't really hounded the dealer on the issue yet, but I think I need to start. I just sent a message to Ford earlier this morning concerning this, but from what I see hear I am not expecting much. Anyway, here is the pertinent info for the list.

Scott Nipp 2001 Ford Mustang Bullitt

For those that 1.) lowered their fluid level and 2.) replaced the synthetic fluid with a regular dino tranny fluid -

How's that working out for you? I'm about ready to give it a try, especially with the colder weather. My 1-2 and 2-3 are grinding a little worse now that the weather's a little cooler.

Trans Noises

Its funny I was in the corral and they directed me here, I have a BABIED '03 GT never even dropped the clutch, I get a intermittent whailing noise with the clutch in or out and a grindy sound when I pull off in 1st or reverse.

shook0002 said:
Its funny I was in the corral and they directed me here, I have a BABIED '03 GT never even dropped the clutch, I get a intermittent whailing noise with the clutch in or out and a grindy sound when I pull off in 1st or reverse.

That doesn't sound like the exact problem being discussed here. The wailing noise seems like a rear-end problem. The grinding sound is probably due to the drivetrain play / loose mounts that are endemic to these cars. I would try and get Ford to fix the wailing, but would blow off the grinding on let-up unless it is really loud.

BTW, my informal advice is to quit babying your car and just drive it. You don't need to worry about every single noise the car makes. You might be surprised how much drivetrain (and tire) noise a typical Corolla or Civic has if you listened to it. The difference is that people treat those cars like disposable lighters and they don't pay as much attention to them as you probably pay to your Mustang.

2nd gear crunch, grind! 5K miles on 03 GT!!!!

Having the same problem with the 2nd gear crunch, grind, whatever. This car only has 5K miles, easy miles, never dropped the clutch, powershifted or anything! Getting ready to take the car in for warranty work, and getting ready for them to tell me nothing's wrong. :bang: :bang: :notnice: :bang: :bang:

02 Gt

I have problems shifting into 3rd. I almost always get a grinding sound going into 3rd if I shift at higher rpms. Also my transmission locks sometimes and won't go into reverse when it gets cold. I have to fight with it to finally get it to go.