Official Tremec 3650 Issues Thread

picieslefty said:
well to tell you the truth i have no idea if my car has the T-3650 or a T-45, but i have an 01 gt with a 5spd manual. I can't shift into 1st while moving at all and I just burned out my synchro into 3rd gear this last weekend. it now grinds like a son-of-a-****** into 3rd. I guess i'm lucky tho cuzz I have 80k miles on my car now and this is the first major issue i've had. :-/

I have a 2002 GT. You CANNOT shift into first until you are basically at a stop. This is normal! The first gear ratio is SO low geared that if you tried to shift into first at even 10 miles an hour, you would probably eventually foo-bar the transmission! I have to be under 10mph before I even think about shifting into 1st.

• Sponsors (?)

cobra2798 said:
I feel lucky after reading all this, my 3650 has been shifting like butter for months now after i changed the fluid to amsoil atf. I know people say it dosent work but it did for me! ill keep my fingers crossed :D

Oh well i guess i spoke to soon. Im having that problem shifting where it feels like you are hitting a wall. Its worst putting it in first and reverse is even worse :shrug: . It seems to do it when it gets hot, and that dont take long since its been kinda hot here in Florida. Is there a coolant that is made to be used to cool down the tranny? I dont think ive ever heard of one but mabey someone else has. Any suggestions as to what anyone thinks could be causing this please let me know. My 3650 has been working well for about 5-6 months now but it is starting to act up again, Please Help! :nice:

brianmef said:
I have a 2002 GT. You CANNOT shift into first until you are basically at a stop. This is normal! The first gear ratio is SO low geared that if you tried to shift into first at even 10 miles an hour, you would probably eventually foo-bar the transmission! I have to be under 10mph before I even think about shifting into 1st.

double clutch it, n it goes in fine. gotta hit the gas hard tho to get the revs high enough for that gear... like a good 500rpms higher than if u were double clutching 3rd to 2nd.

edit: er, i still wouldn't try that above 15 mph (as is recommended in ur owner's manual)

brianmef said:

I have a 02 Gt and have no problems with the tranny, I even shift into 1st at 20-25mph. (Although I can hear it whine) Not letting out on the clutch till I moving slower but still it goes in to gear. and the car has 62k miles on it.

I took my '03 GT in today. They pulled the tranny and are ordering parts. Mine was not radical, I could just feel it on the first or second time going into second when starting cold. There were no questions about it at the dealership. The tech drove it and started to work on it.