Official Tremec 3650 Issues Thread

• Sponsors (?)

The Bulletin Number...

Hello,

YES...I have the same problem. CLUNKING shifts into 2nd gear...especially when cold. Very noticeable. I have a whole thread on this, that details my experience with my dealer. By the way, the Ford bulletin number for this is 15669, in which they instruct the mechanic to replace the fluid with ATF. My Ford dealership has agreed to do this for me free of charge at my next oil change.

2002 Red Mustang GT Coupe, 5 spd, 6200 miles currently, been clunking since new. :flag:

The Bulletin Number...

Hello,

YES...I have the same problem. CLUNKING shifts into 2nd gear...especially when cold. Very noticeable. I have a whole thread on this, that details my experience with my dealer. By the way, the Ford bulletin number for this is 15669, in which they instruct the mechanic to replace the fluid with ATF. My Ford dealership has agreed to do this for me free of charge at my next oil change.

2002 Red Mustang GT Coupe, 5 spd, 6200 miles currently, been clunking since new. :flag:

2000 GT, 67k miles, only clunks when downshifting 3-2 and 2-1 fast. if you ease it in it doenst clunk. im going to replace the fluid with Texaco Dex 3 ASAP and see what that does.

My 02 GT has about 37k mi on it and the only time I noticed the grind was the first few ( like 1-3 ) shifts when the weather was about 40 deg. or colder. Otherwise the car gets powershifted just about every other weekend and knock on wood haven't had any other problem other than that.

-Dustin

clunkig, cold grinding.... tranny was replaced once @ 10,000 miles due to excessive gear overlap :rolleyes: ... there would be a weird erratic clunking sound coming from the tranny ..... push in the clutch and ut would leave.. it wasnt a whine it was a luod A$$ clunk....
they replaced it and same F'n problem :bang:

My problem is with Ford more in general because I had the entire transmission replaced and I specifically told them to check everything, like all the shafts, housing, clutch, pressureplate, etc. When I get back and pick up my car, I noticed that the clutch pedal was a bit stiff.

Well, it eventually led to the destruction of my clutch/pressure plate, a blotched order by DM (Dallas Mustangs but cool guys because they've offered a remedy already), and my transmission is failing as now I'm grinding gears on a short throw.

Tsk tsk indeed. But I can't take the tranny back to Ford because I've gone over the intial 12000 mile warranty.

I have a 97' Cobra with the same problem described by everyone else. Mine obviously has a T-45, I wondering if there is a bigger issue here? I took my car to the dealer and got the standard line from the service manager... :stupid:

They could not replicate the issue. Every time the car is cold it grinds really badly on the 1-2 shift and pretty badly on the 2-3 shift. Once it has warmed up... no problems at all... it shifts like a dream.

I LOVE the car, but I am looking at replacing the Trans with a T-56.. I haven't heard of any cars having shifting issues with that tranny... anyone else having issues with their T-45?

I also have a problem with the 3650 in my Bullitt. It has always had the crunch 1st to 2nd when cold, but now under a HARD shift (power shift) it crunches like a bad blocking ring or syncro. And it only has 1200 miles on it. There is definitely a problem with the 3650 transmission . Taking it back to the dealer to have it repaired. :fuss:

man this sucks about the tremec 3650. I have a 2002 gt with about 33,000 miles on it. I have noticed a slight clunk when I shift to 2nd the first time I shift when the car has just started, but when I try to make it happen again it will not do it. BUt one thing for sure is this: I put in the tri-ax and it is much much harder to make it clunk cause now it pops in gear quicker, I guess. But when the car is first started, if I shift very smoothly then there is no clunk or grind at all. But it is pretty warm here in Birmingham Alabama, so I guess Ill really see what is going on when winter time comes around. Well just thought I would add to the this thread seeing as how it seems my tremec may have issues as well.

Oh, also, when I installed the tri-ax, I did not use the stops provided by steeda. Car shifts great and you can feel the stops inside the tremec. OOps that was kinda off topic.

I too have always had the cold start notchy/crunch from 1-2. It never really goes away completely, even after warm up, if I shift "normally", like I used to do with my flawless 5-spd Honda Civic. I'm an old guy and never speed shift either. Passive resistance on my part, I guess, because I now just automatically hesitate a split second in nuetral before advancing on to a new gear change, smooth and quiet if I do that. What a bummer! Anyway, I usually buy a new car every three years, so Ford will definitely not be on my shopping list ever again after my 2002 GT goes bye-bye.