Official Tremec 3650 Issues Thread

Several weeks after I got my 2003 GT last year, I had the same 1st - 2nd gear problem and the occasional 2nd - 3rd. Several times I grinded 2nd because of the problem. I took it to Ford who said that they couldn't duplicate the problem and that it was perfectly normal. I just learned to baby it whenever I felt like it was going to happen. Now a year later, I don't really have the problem any more. It does happen sometimes but no where near as much as it used to. Oh yeah, I'm in SW Florida so my warm weather has probably helped me out.

• Sponsors (?)

madbean said:
Several weeks after I got my 2003 GT last year, I had the same 1st - 2nd gear problem and the occasional 2nd - 3rd. Several times I grinded 2nd because of the problem. ...

... Now a year later, I don't really have the problem any more.

Same here. My '03 had the 1st to 2nd grind problem when I first got it. Now, with >6K miles on it, it doesn't do it anymore (and hasn't for some time).

wms004 said:
Is redline truly going to mess it up? I have been running it for about 5,000 miles and would like to know for sure. Stock the car comes with Mobile 1 synthetic ATF.. why would ford put a synthetic fluid in when tremec is against you using synthetic???

-wade

Im just going by what someone told me they heard directly from Tremec. I had it in there and it didnt help a bit so I took it out and put the Dexron III in and it seemed a little better plus its less than $2 a quart. I didnt want to take any chances since the Redline didnt help anyway.

I was just at my Ford dealer getting some touch up paint so I decided to talk to the service department and see if they knew anything about it. They knew all about it and said they heard of the TSB coming out near the end of the month but they didnt have an exact date. They also said they have employees who own Mustangs and wont work on their transmissions until they get the fix ready. So basically if I took my car in now they wouldnt touch it until they got the TSB.

MustangJunkie said:
Geee T, that's great news. If the ford employees are waiting for the TSB, that's a very good sign. :nice:

You can't be serious.

I've been in contact directly with tremec since Nov 03 (7 months ago), and back then they said Ford claimed that the TSB would be out very soon.

So don't hold you're breath on this one, because by the time the TSB for the 3650 comes out, we'll be looking at the next Mustang model and I don't mean 2005.

Jeeze. I've been wanting to reply to this for two days but it took me this long to get enough time to read the whole thing so I don't ask something someone else has already asked (and had answered) 973 times.

Anyway, before I heard anything bad about the 3650 I picked one up on Ebay to go with a 5.4L DOHC swap into my 96 GT - first major mod I've ever done to my car (or ANY car, really). I haven't really experienced the grinding issue, despite this being a used transmission of somewhat unknown vintage (I was told 4k miles but now that he has his money the seller won't respond to my emails, so I'm hoping he wasn't just making up stuff). I DO have an issue that was mentioned a couple of times in this thread, though, which no one has yet responded to.

At idle the car is NOISY. It sounds like the transmission is full of rocks or something. It shifts pretty well, though I've noticed (as others have commented) that it gets pretty notchy after getting nice and warm. It seems to like being driven hard - the best shifts are always the ones when I'm beating on it a bit. The FEEL is no worse than my old T45. The T5 I had in my '88 coupe with 5.0L was smoother, but it had a Pro 5.0 the whole time I had the car, so it's really not a good basis for comparison.

To give a bit more info:

In neutral with the clutch released, I hear a sound like a random rattling - no real high- pitched noises - not like metal contacting metal - it sounds like a rock polishing machine with a full barrel. Almost like a REALLY bad throwout bearing. The noise goes away completely when I press in the clutch and all I can hear then is the exhaust. I do have some other minor stuff - if I listen closely I can hear some gear whine when accelerating in 3rd and possibly 4th, but those don't seem like too big a deal.

I don't recall the name of the 2 other people who mentioned this same issue, but hopefully they're still around and will chime in.

The cost of the swap has pretty much wiped out any money I had for diagnosis or repair for quite a while - so I'm hoping someone here can give me a clue about what to expect here, without me having to have someone tear the tranny apart and see what's wrong. I don't know what's "normal" for these things, and I've never had a brand new car, so I might have more trouble than I think simply due to being unfamiliar with how good it's SUPPOSED to be. It certainly doesn't shift "like butter" as some have said their transmissions did after the Ford fixes.

Any thoughts?

I notice a definite "hesitation" shifting into second in my '03 GT, but never a grinding.....more noticable when the outside temp. is cold, but goes away as the car warms up. I just make a mental note to kinda' pull the shifter towards me when going into second when the car is cold ( installed a UPR Blu Thunder shifter about a month ago, helped somewhat.) My brother is an engineer at Ford, I have him keep an eye out for a TSB, still nothing on this issue in Ford's database

Wirehead said:
Jeeze. I've been wanting to reply to this for two days but it took me this long to get enough time to read the whole thing so I don't ask something someone else has already asked (and had answered) 973 times.

Anyway, before I heard anything bad about the 3650 I picked one up on Ebay to go with a 5.4L DOHC swap into my 96 GT - first major mod I've ever done to my car (or ANY car, really). I haven't really experienced the grinding issue, despite this being a used transmission of somewhat unknown vintage (I was told 4k miles but now that he has his money the seller won't respond to my emails, so I'm hoping he wasn't just making up stuff). I DO have an issue that was mentioned a couple of times in this thread, though, which no one has yet responded to.

At idle the car is NOISY. It sounds like the transmission is full of rocks or something. It shifts pretty well, though I've noticed (as others have commented) that it gets pretty notchy after getting nice and warm. It seems to like being driven hard - the best shifts are always the ones when I'm beating on it a bit. The FEEL is no worse than my old T45. The T5 I had in my '88 coupe with 5.0L was smoother, but it had a Pro 5.0 the whole time I had the car, so it's really not a good basis for comparison.

To give a bit more info:

In neutral with the clutch released, I hear a sound like a random rattling - no real high- pitched noises - not like metal contacting metal - it sounds like a rock polishing machine with a full barrel. Almost like a REALLY bad throwout bearing. The noise goes away completely when I press in the clutch and all I can hear then is the exhaust. I do have some other minor stuff - if I listen closely I can hear some gear whine when accelerating in 3rd and possibly 4th, but those don't seem like too big a deal.

I don't recall the name of the 2 other people who mentioned this same issue, but hopefully they're still around and will chime in.

The cost of the swap has pretty much wiped out any money I had for diagnosis or repair for quite a while - so I'm hoping someone here can give me a clue about what to expect here, without me having to have someone tear the tranny apart and see what's wrong. I don't know what's "normal" for these things, and I've never had a brand new car, so I might have more trouble than I think simply due to being unfamiliar with how good it's SUPPOSED to be. It certainly doesn't shift "like butter" as some have said their transmissions did after the Ford fixes.

Any thoughts?

Yea mine does that too(noise) a friend/mechanic told me it was normal and why it did that although I don't remember now.

Me too

Poopie D said:
I just got an 03 GT with 9,000 miles on it. I have never owned a 5 speed before and was wondering how I would even know if my tranny is screwed up? It does seem to be a bit clunky when shift to 2nd and 3rd, and sometimes I can't get it into 3rd. I have not herad any sort of "grinding" noise between shifts that I know of.

Does it sound like I have a problem? Should I tell my dealer to install this new "kit" when it comes out? Will they even install it if I just tell them to? How do I tell what tranny I even have in my car?

Thanks!

I have this same problem from 2nd to 3rd, only smooth when I granny shift. Is this normal????

fr96ss said:
My 03 gt shifts like **** when cold doesnt grind thank god but any way while i was in florida with it for a week the tranny shifted perfect.. hence these cars are made only to drive in the southern warm climates hahahahaha!

I live in FL and my 2004 Gt has less than 2k on it. I have the same problem as poopie above. I have no grind from 1st to 2nd, but I do feel a clunk in the shifter if I try to go straight from 2nd to 3rd no matter how warmed up. If I go to neutral first and granny shift, most of the time I feel no clunk. Is this normal??? :shrug:

For WIREHEAD

It's not normal and it probably means the shifting forks are bent, try pushing or pulling the shifter toward a gear, not into the gear just toward it with the clutch out , if the noise goes away the shifter forks are probably bent a little, if not I have no idea.

If it helps, here is a complete list of current TSB's.

http://www.alldata.com/TSB/19/031917E6.html

03-15-1 AUG 03 Rear Window Defroster - Inoperative
03-14-8 JUL 03 A/T - Cooler Flushing Service Tips
03-14-4 JUL 03 Ignition System - Engine Misfire Diagnostic Tips
03-11-6 JUN 03 Electrical - Wiring Soldering/Crimping Tips
03-11-4 JUN 03 Engine - Left Hand Side Ticking Noise
03-9-8 MAY 03 Emissions - MIL ON/EVAP System DTC's Set
03-9-5 MAY 03 Suspension - Rear Suspension Clunk/Pop Noise
03-8-3 APR 03 Engine - Oil Level Indicator Markings
03-1-5 JAN 03 Interior - Passenger Seat Squeaking Sound
02-23-7 NOV 02 Cooling System - Premium Gold Coolant Service Info
02-23-3 NOV 02 Fuel System - Fuel Pressure Relief Valve Discontinued
02-22-1 NOV 02 Engine Controls - Engine Surge/Rolling Idle/DTC's Set
02-21-13 OCT 02 Engine - Cylinder Head Straightedge Surface Check
02-20-8 OCT 02 A/C System - Diagnosis and Service Tips
02-17-6 SEP 02 A/T - Inadvertent Shift Interlock Disabling

Oh and I also just had some warranty work done on my '03 Mach 1. They had to reflash the PCM because it was dying while decellerating in neutral.

I picked up an '03 GT last march with 23 miles on it....I've had the grind ever since, and I've got a little over 22k on it now. A friend and I installed a Tri-Ax shifter, but that made absolutely no difference. I thought I was the only one, until I read this thread a few days ago.

It's mainly on the 1-2 shift for me - not so much 2-3. Same as usual though, gets worse in the cold, better when it's warm...it's always there to some degree though, until the car warms up. I'm taking it in to the dealer this week, but from what I've read it seems their chances of improving the trannie's performance are pretty low. The tech I got on the phone at the service dept. told me he's got an '02 GT, and has never had any problems and has never heard of this problem either, so I'm starting out bad already. I think I'll take the advice of someone earlier here and call Ford ahead of time so that they send a fax over to the dealership first.

'03 GT
22,200 miles
Steeda Tri-Ax
40 Series Flowmasters
K&N filter
Various aesthetic upgrades

well im not sure if my tranny is a 3650 tremec but i do know its a tremec and it just locked up completly after a day of strang noises no fluid lost just completly locked up so thanks god for extened warranty im sure its still not gonna fun havin them replace it

Mine has been grinding in 1-2 alot lately and today i was even driving and it just pop'd out of gear, it was in second...i have a Tri-Ax, but i have had that on for over a year now with no problems except a grind once or twice in the past year, but these past two weeks i have had it about 4 times with normal babying it driving. just rolled over 30k BTW