oil pan gaskets

TrophyHead

15 Year Member
Mar 18, 2003
PA
I need to replace the gasket on my oil pan. Would I need a engine hoist? If so can I rent these fairly cheap? Should I use RTV silicone with the gasket?
I've heard you have to drop the steering rack? Is that true?

Any of you guys who have done this could you please give me some pionters?

Tried a search. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

First buy a 1 piece oil pan gasket, much better IMOP. The days of multi piece oil pan gaskets are history !

Use SMALL dab of RTV in the corners, the corners have to be SPOTLESS for the RTV to stick.

U do not want RTV globs in your oiling system, trust me on this. So use the least amount.

Some say U can jack the engine high enough. I have no personal experience on this job yet :lol:

Somebody will come and help U on that part.

You can buy the one piece rubber gasket from summit part #236090. Use High Tack gasket sealant instead, it will also keep the gasket in place. it will make installing the oil pan easier.

The only time you would need the remove the steering shaft is if have longtube headers... if you have shorties, you'll be fine.

You don't actually need to remove the pan, it's a PITA if you do. Just unbolt the rack, which is only two bolts, and then the steering knuckle, and pull the rack back. Unbolt the pan, drop it down and clean all old material off. Then fish the new gasket in place and install is reverse of removal. I don't think RVT in the corners is nessasary if the gasket is installed properly, and I guess you could just use RVT for the whole thing, just use plenty of it.

I have the car sitting on 24 inch jackstands right now. So it wont be too bad. Gonna go out right now and start it. I'll re-post if I run in to any promblems. Thanks again.