Oil Pump Drive Shaft Issue

k00ksta

May 13, 2007
Chicago
I just put my motor back in my car and when I went to stab my dizzy back in I could not get it to drop completely in so when I pulled it back out I could see the Oil Pump Drive Shaft has popped out the oil pump :((( here is a pic

ops1.jpg

ops2.jpg

I am not sure if the retaining clip / washer is still on the shaft as well but I have not heard anything fall into the pan and there also is no fluids in the engine at this point. Can I use some really long nosed pliers to try to re-align it back with the oil pump? or am I looking at pulling the engine out again?

• Sponsors (?)

I had the same problem. I used a vacuum hose about a foot long. At the end of the hose I attached a magnetic tip holder from a craftsmen removable tip screwdriver. It is the same size as the oil pump shaft. I rotated it untill i was able to pull out the oil pump shaft.

When I installed the distributer I shoved a small piece of electrical tape to ensure the shaft did not fall out. Be careful when trying to get it to line up with the camshaft it could fall out again.