oil pump problem

davesgt

Aug 20, 2005
i just recently rebuilt the motor in my 01 cobra and when i started the car it had good oil pressure i took the car for a ride and came to a stop sign i lost all oil pressure and the motor started to knock i pulled out and it made oil pressure again can any one tell me if you had this happen before or mabe you know what i can try to fix this (and yes the motor had oil in it )thanks dave

• Sponsors (?)

all you do on a 4.6 pump is put it on the block, finish the rest of the motor, fill the motor with oil and fire it up. if you feel you really want to prime it, yank the coil connectors and the fuel pump relay and turn the motor over. i know when i build mod motors, i am very liberal with the bearing lube, so initial dry startup isnt that bad.

bdcardinal said:
all you do on a 4.6 pump is put it on the block, finish the rest of the motor, fill the motor with oil and fire it up. if you feel you really want to prime it, yank the coil connectors and the fuel pump relay and turn the motor over. i know when i build mod motors, i am very liberal with the bearing lube, so initial dry startup isnt that bad.

I would pull the coil connectors and give it 3 cranks why even risk it on a 7 grand motor :shrug: Would you put a yaht in the ocean without breaking a wine bottle on the bow :rlaugh:

bdcardinal said:
you dont prime the oil pump on a 4.6 before you install it. its splined to the front of the crankshaft. the nice thing about that is as long as the crankshaft turns, the oil pump turns.
Actually, you can prime the oil pump on a 4.6L. Prime it with the fill holes and then tape them shut until installed and ready for use. :)

Hahahaha....not a Ford Tech, I just remember reading in an old MM&FF article and broke it out of the cobwebs before I put my engine together. I used some electrical tape on mine, but I would imagine you could use whatever will stick.