Oil pump shaft/dizzy prob.

bynummustang

Seen my other Jackstand?
Jul 24, 2005
NC State University
I have yet another question about the oil pump shaft and dizzy. I searched, but nothing was quite what I needed.

When I put the shaft in, with the little clip/star washer on the shaft, the shaft doesn't reach the oil pump. I can freely turn it. When I try to put the dizzy on, it has almost an inch to still drop down. I know the retainer is there so I don't have to drop the pan to get it, but the dizzy won't fit, and the shaft doesn't reach the pump with it on. Am I doing something wrong, or do I just need to take it off?

• Sponsors (?)

You can take the washer off but then you'll be taking a chance every time you pull the distributor that the shaft will fall in the pan. Is the engine already in the car?

Agreed.

I have heard of some people using silicone in the bottom of the distributor gear area where the oil pump shaft sits, essentially making it a sorta 1 piece deal, but that just doesn't seem safe either.

You would have to remove the washer, use a magnet or something to guide the shaft down into the pump and hope you don't drop it, then put silicone in the hole under the dist. gear and set it in place. If you drop the shaft, your have to remove the pan anyway so why not just do it right the 1st time.

Don't feel bad though, I did the same thing when I 1st assembled my engine and have seen several threads here where others have too. Fortunately my engine was still on the stand at the time.

i accually did the silicon trick for a year with no problem.its definetly hack,but it works,and when you put the silicon in the bottom of the dizzy you fill it up then push the driveshaft in sqeeze all the air out.when you pull on it the silicon pulls it back in like a trap.let it dry and be gentle when you adjust your timing. i told another guy on another site about this and he did it with sucess.if the motor is not in the car i would just pull the pan.

The motor is in the car, everything is buttoned up, and I was putting the dizzy in before the upper manifold, and then had this.

So use silicone on the shaft and dizzy? Sounds like it will work. I just need to get the car running, and work for long enough to get rid of it. (I know it sounds shaddy).