OK 70shot with 17PSI

351wcoupe

Feb 13, 2003
Manhattan, Kansas
Ok tonight didn't work out as good and I think I found the source of all my loss of power problems from before. I pulled 2 degrees timing which should have put me close to 10*. Really hard to tell because My timing pointer was bouncing around. I set it at what should have been 10* and 17 psi. I drove it and it did that typical thing it did forever-pulled great it 1st and 2nd and started dying in 3rd.

Well...I sprayed it and it popped some. It wasn't a detonation sound this sounded like a miss. It pulled pretty good just wasn't all there. Kind of felt like the bottle was out, but it shouldn't be I dont' get my gauge until tomorrow.
I entered 2860 on the Gtech which is right at what it weighed with both of us in it and I had it dead on 0 angle. It pulled 239hp.:nonono: The lightning pulled 245hp under identical conditions.

I never heard the car detonate at all... in a very long time. It may just be a lot less timing than I think. I'm going to put it back where it was and listen for det.

EDIT: I'm not disappointed in the Gtech of the car just thats its catching the hp of the truck and its got a miss and its far surpassed the times of the truck. :owned:

• Sponsors (?)

what lightning is only pulling 245hp? Is that an old school one with no blower or something? I rode in an 03' that ran 11.12 in the quater. That popping you hear when you hit the nitro is bad news. You'll end up with burned up pistons or a shatered intake.

Willy0314 said:
what lightning is only pulling 245hp? Is that an old school one with no blower or something? I rode in an 03' that ran 11.12 in the quater. That popping you hear when you hit the nitro is bad news. You'll end up with burned up pistons or a shatered intake.
let me be the first to say.... :rlaugh:

ok anyway... My stock all motor 351w lightning. Don't worry man I'm not running "nitro" through this car I'm running "nitrous" instead. I don't think it would handle too much "nitro".

Like I said this did not feel like a lean pop, this felt like a "Bottle running out" pop.

nope kirban, stock 35lbers, walbro 255 high press.
I just tried it more time and it A/F gauge shows all the way red lean and switches back and forth. I may go back to the 50 shot since I haven't made any other changes. I also tried to bring the timing back 2* since it ran well there still doesn't pull anymore....messed it up. I just need to stay focused on any changes I make or have made.

i dont see what the problem is? a 70 shot should be simple enough with a degree or two less of timing...unless you are running lean to begin with(*hint, get a WBo2!!). I know what you mean with the bottle, i never got a pop when my bottle runs low, usualy it would kick in the balls down low, but mid-way rpm wise..it would peter-out. Sure all your hoses are still on, no leaks boost wise?

Also what are your plugs gapped at? brand?

ok I just went back to a 50 shot and it did the same, I backed the boost down 14psi where it ran good before and I started getting insane readings on the old Gtech meter.
Weight was entered right after weighing me sitting in the car.On turbo it pulled 191hp from a roll in 3rd at 3k. I turned around started from the exact spot made sure the gtech was still level, again rolled 3rd to 3k and nailed it from the exact spot. It pulled as it should and registered a 291hp and it showed that about .5 seconds after the spray turned on. and went down to 235 and pulled back up to about 256. Does that sound right for a 50shot?? I ended up trying it twice and the 2nd time a buddy rode with me and I guesstimated the car weight based on what he said he weighed. I think I entered it 20-30 pounds heavy and showed 297 on that one.:shrug:
it showed correct on the lightning

Gap the plugs tighter, back when I was spraying I had to gap them realy close when on the spray to keep it from missing and popping out the exhaust. Always cleared it right up.

Later
Randy

OK!!! Good call Randy. I changed nothing other than dropping plug gap and I've made all sorts of gains. As it sits now I'm as far as 20psi and a 70hp shot. All the car does is pull harder and harder.

I also moved one of my switches. I have a standard toggle that must be on and then I have to be WOT and it will flip my relay and turn the solenoids on. I wired to toggle through a factory Fog light switch so its really easy to hit and tell if its on or not. I also have a light that I can see under the hood, even in the daylight, that shows if the solenoids are on. So if anybody asked what that switch does I'll just say "It goes to my FOGger lights"

ok just for fun I made a run on street tires dead stop just as I have 1k times already. Right at the instant the tires started biting good in 2nd I clicked the N20 on and it still bit hard. So now I'm extremely happy and the car feels great.