Ok i F**ked UP!!! Please help

rude_life

Mar 30, 2005
Well I got the bbk shorty headers installed and the off road h pipe bolted up and I start torquing the bolts down. I think I am done and I start the car and huge exhaust leak..
I take the h pipe off and on the passenger side header..the h pipe and header didnt seat properly..It was crooked and about 1/2 inch off to the right..And i tightened the bolts that way.
So now I have a passenger side header with two creases on the flange almost down to the bottom of the flange but the h pipe isnt really damaged.
I dont know what to do or how to bend it back :(

• Sponsors (?)

IF the H is down, go to the parts store and look for a gasket. Worst case you can probably use some copper RTV on that joint and/or torque to heck... I do that and can pretty much get rid of most of my ticking that way...

Thats probably what I would do. Someone had on here at one time the exact part# for the gasket you'd need, its just a 2-bolt flange flat-style exhaust gasket that has the correct opening size and bolt hole distance. I have no idea where to find that info now though, this was probably around a year ago. Sounds like you need to bend the flange back out some, I'd probably use vice grips or regular pliers and try to bend it back out as much as possible first (careful not to break that part of the flange off). Then a gasket like that slathered with a thick bead of copper RTV on either side should work wonders.
Good luck man, hopefully it'll go smoothly