Old vs. New Exhaust Vid

Darkwriter77

Resident Ranting Negative Nancy
5 Year Member
Jul 1, 2005
Apache Junction, AZ
MS Movie Maker is a buggy piece of crap on my system for some reason, but after farting around with it for a couple of days, I forced it to stop randomly adding 30 to 45 seconds at a time of black screens with no audio to the end of my clips, and threw together a little 2-minute quickie exhaust demo.

I tried to make the recordings as consistent as possible to give a fair comparison - recorded all at the same distances, approximately the same RPM's for revving/cruising/WOT (didn't push the throttle all that hard, since I'm having pinging issues), and used the same road/parking lot/driveway.

Here's the linky:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=1461046469

First half is with my old setup: UPR cat'ed X-pipe with Pypes Violators and Dynomax 2.5" SS tails. Second half is the new setup (before I painted the exhaust gloss black with hi-temp paint): Jeg's off-road X-pipe with Dynomax #17676's and 2.5" side-exits. The part in the middle is where I realized I'd forgotten to tighten down the passenger-side header flange (hence the "WTF?!" reaction when I first start it up). :)

Only gripes I have about the new setup are that I'm probably going to have to take a 5-pound BFH to the underside of my floorboards to beat up a mini-tunnel in the passenger-rear foot area if I ever want to make the side-exits tuck up high enough to blend in visually, but at least I've managed to gain 2" of ground clearance with the swap, and I don't expect to have the same long-term sagging issues I had with the UPR X-pipe (since the Jeg's X has tranny crossmember hangers and the UPR had none). Also, since the Jeg's X comes shipped as a three-piece unit where the two downpipes clamp onto the X crossover section, there's a bit of an audible leak on both sides where the clamps sort of pinch down the tubing - that'll teach me for using those ultra-crappy cheap-arsed clamps that came with it. :bang:

I do have a higher-quality 8MB version of the video available that I can post on MySpace if anyone cares - the audio isn't THAT much better, but it's there if anyone so desires - but in either version the camcorder audio just doesn't do either setup proper justice. I really need to invest in a professional DAT audio setup or something extreme to make it just right. :D

Any thoughts/comments, or recording tips are appreciated. And does anyone else have that same problem with MS Movie Maker freaking out when you try to snip your clips up and refuse to play them in anything but unmodified form? (I had to capture and re-capture each clip over and over and just paste 'em in as-is, since it would freak out and add dead air and black video in my clips, otherwise.)

• Sponsors (?)

i think it sounds like 100% better now.. i was tryen to find the tips, i didnt know it was all the same video.. i noticed them in the 1st half and then they were gone in the 2nd.... but the gum rapper on the ground took off like a paper air plain. LOL.. then i knew what was going on!... NICE !

If I added up all the money I've spent on this car this year, I'd probably feel like I wanna take a BFH to my forehead. :D

I dunno about flattening out the pipes. I mean, I wouldn't really gain anything clearance-wise by doing so ... although I could maybe make some cool oval-shaped tips out of the ends by giving them a bit of a squish...? :) I'm probably going to have to just leave things as they are for the next few months, anyhow, since the new park manager's a Nazi and I'm kinda screwed for doing any future car work until I can find a new place to do my wrenching n' such ... which probably won't be until I move back to the KC area next year. :(

Oh..... Jesus Mary Mother of God for the love of all that is holy....

That is just plain sexy. :drool:

Oh, the car's pretty damn swell too. :SNSign:

(and yes, I waited a full 24 friggin' minutes for that to load. :( Dial up ftl)